Friday, January 12, 2007

Winter's Back

2:30pm Update...16 degrees and the snow keeps going back and forth between snow and sleet. The road in front of the house is covered in white but the grass is surprisingly bare. Not looking forward to getting Jacob from school.

11:15am Update...It is now snowing and it's 16 degrees. And, I have to go out in it to pick Daniel up from school. :( I wonder what my Virginia friends think about that!!! LOL!

I had the hardest time pulling myself out of bed this morning. It took every ounce of energy to not go back to bed once I took a look outside. It had been drizzling, and with the temperatures dropping (we were 60 yesterday and right now it's 19 degrees), there was a nice coating of ice on the ground. I kept thinking that the boys were sleeping so nicely and it would be okay for them to miss a day of school. Then I realized that's a dumb thought and went to get the boys out of bed. I don't know why I didn't think to leave a little earlier because of the ice...I guess I thought that the main roads wouldn't be that bad. Once I got out of our subdivision, I made the realization that the main roads were just as slippery as the back roads. Luckily, everyone here seems to know how to drive in this stuff and were keeping a nice distance between cars and were driving about 25-30 mph, which seemed to be the safe speed. (and thank goodness for my new tires!!!)

After dropping off the boys, Hannah and I went up to get more milk and juice since once I get back from picking up Jacob this afternoon, I don't want to head out again until this stops. I have to laugh because I know that school would have been cancelled today if we were still in Virginia. LOL. Welcome back to the world of "it's winter...it snows...it gets icy...deal with it." LOL!!! Right now, we've got some sleet. I wonder if it'll turn to snow?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

36 up by the gargoyles on B Hall. It started out this morning at upper 40s. Been drizzeling all day and it's supposed to turn into freezing rain by the time I get home and go with that all night. I have no reason to stick my nose out of the house until I go to work on Monday though.

Anonymous said...

It's here. By the time I left Mom and Dad's this afternoon, it had started to freeze a bit. My rear view mirror had ice on it. I saw a snow plow spreading salt! We are only supposed to get 1/10 inch of ice but I think we've already got that.

Barbara said...

It just looks ugly out there...Mike said that the roads were passable, not the best, but passable when he got home from work. It sounds like you are getting what we are, just about 6 hours behind us! Be careful if you have to go out this weekend!