Friday, January 12, 2007

Winter Storm Update

This is just lovely. Good thing we're all stocked up and have no need to go out. Just waiting for Mike to get home from work...

439 PM CST FRI JAN 12 2007

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 12 PM SATURDAY TO MIDNIGHT CST SUNDAY NIGHT...

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ... HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 12 PM SATURDAY TO MIDNIGHT CST SUNDAY NIGHT. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST SATURDAY.

BY LATE AFTERNOON...SPOTTERS ARE INDICATING ONE TO TWO TENTHS OF SLEET...ON TOP OF A GLAZING OF ICE...HAS FALLEN ACROSS THE SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE METROPOLITAN AREA EASTWARD ALONG THE INTERSTATE 70 CORRIDOR TO MISSOURI. SLEET AND BRIEF PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN WILL CONTINUE INTO THE EARLY EVENING HOURS...WITH PRECIPITATION TAPERING OFF A BIT BY 6 PM. ADDITIONAL SLEET ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO ONE QUARTER INCH ARE EXPECTED BY SATURDAY MORNING. TREACHEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS EXIST ALONG THE INTERSTATE 435..INTERSTATE 635 AND INTERSTATE 435 URBAN LOOPS...AS WELL AS ALONG THE HIGHWAY 71 CORRIDOR. LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTING SLOW TRAVEL CONDITIONS AND NUMEROUS ACCIDENTS ACROSS THE REGION. MOTORISTS ARE URGED TO CURTAIL ANY UNNECESSARY TRAVEL.

BEYOND TONIGHT...A LULL IN PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED SATURDAY MORNING WITH PATCHY FREEZING DRIZZLE...SLEET AND SNOW PRODUCING TRACE AMOUNTS OF ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS. HOWEVER...SEVERAL ADDITIONAL ROUNDS OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION ARE EXPECTED SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY. CURRENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT PRECIPITATION WILL FALL MAINLY IN THE FORM OF SLEET SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING...WITH A MIX OF SNOW AND SLEET ON SUNDAY. BY THE TIME THE STORM WINDS TO CLOSE SUNDAY EVENING...ONE HALF TO ONE INCH OF SLEET AND TWO TO FOUR INCHES OF SNOW WILL BLANKET THE AREA.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds awful, Barb. Be safe and stay inside. We have an ice storm warning.

I made the soda cracker toffee. I'm just waiting for the chocolate chips to melt.

Barbara said...

It had stopped sleeting earlier this evening but it just started up again. We were going to go out this weekend to take the kids to a children's museum but I doubt that's going to happen. We've got everything we need so I don't think we'll be traveling out for a while.

I made a batch of the toffee the other day. I think that next time I'm going to make more of the toffee mixture and less of the chocolate.

Anonymous said...

I think the chocolate is still melted. We did get into it and it's tasty but gooey. I hope it sets up overnight.

I've been into the sweets today. We were in Peoria today and had to stop by the krispy kreme. My van just drove there. I don't know what that was about. The guy ahead of me ordered 6 and the girl told him that a dozen would be cheaper. Of course, being the smart shopper that I am, I just ordered a dozen.

Barbara said...

I ended up putting mine in the fridge because it just wasn't setting up fast enough for me! LOL!!!

I like Krispy Kreme but only if they are hot from the store. (warming them in the microwave is just not good enough for me) Picky, picky, I know. Good for you for getting the deal on a dozen! I never buy less than that simply because they get lonely in the box! :)

Anonymous said...

Just a crappy day here this morning. Nothing special or out of the ordinary. Just another weekend to lay about the house and rest up from last week.

Barbara said...

Well, that's unfair! We have about 1/2 in or so of sleet on top of 1/2 inch of ice with more sleet coming down as we speak. They're saying up to 1 to 2 inches of sleet, although it seems they have dropped the snow from the forecast