Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Jacob's Diagnosis

I really thought that the pediatrician would tell me that Jacob had a cold and that it would work itself out. Nope. He's got strep...again. That makes four times this year. I wonder what the threshold is for getting tonsils out nowadays. He was happy, though, because it meant that he couldn't go to baseball tonight. So, his baseball career seems to be over. It's a shame that he's ended it with such a hatred of the sport. Oh well. I have a funny feeling we may be doing this all over again next year.

2 comments:

debbie said...

I hope he's feeling better soon. It's nice to know what it is. Does getting your tonsils out keep you from getting strep? I thought that was just for tonsillitis?

I know of several people who got strep around here a couple of weeks ago. Mary Rose and Emma had a slight fever and a sore throat but got over it. It stinks but keeping them home until their fever has been gone for 24 hours is best for everyone.

Barbara said...

Actually, getting your tonsils out can help a variety of things. I know it helps with strep because Anzaldua would tell me how many more times that year I had to have strep before I needed mine out. I got strep a lot as a kid (like 8 times a year) and he wouldn't take them out because the threshold was 10 times in a calendar year. I could never quite reach that so I kept my tonsils and kept getting strep. I know a lot of people that did have theirs out and never got strep again. Must have been nice!