Saturday, July 12, 2008

Interesting Article

This article appeared in our newspaper today: Stolen Torahs Stun Congregations... It ran on the front page. The reason I was drawn to the article is that the rabbi in the picture is one from our synagogue. They also quoted our Executive Director in the article.

After reading the article, it made me wonder why anyone would steal a Torah. I don't understand why someone would be so hateful. Stuff like this (and vandalizing cemeteries...don't get me started) makes me so mad.

4 comments:

Susy said...

That's really crazy. I don't know what makes people think stealing things like that is a good idea. I didn't realize how big they were. What are these people doing with it once they take it?

Barbara said...

Torahs are huge and heavy (so I hear). People are stupid.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately what they'll do is desecrate the Torah. I guess they do things like this for the thrill of it. It's a sad world.

debbie said...

I think they were right on when they speculated it being a hate crime. There is so much hatred in the world. It's so sad that churches and synagogues have to worry about vandalism, violence and theft. People have no shame and want to blame anyone for their own unhappiness. Religious places of worship and the people who go to them are special targets.