Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Hannah and Her Brothers

Monday was such a beautiful day that we were outside a lot. At one point, Hannah asked if she could go up the street and ask Lisa to come out and play. I guess Lisa's mom (Beth) told Hannah that Lisa could not come out front since she (Beth) was busy with the baby but Hannah was more than welcome to play with Lisa in the backyard. She told me to come back down and ask me if it was okay. Hannah did come back down but told me that Lisa's mom was really busy so Lisa couldn't play, then Hannah ran to play with the other kids on the street.

Yesterday, Beth calls to see if Hannah could come over to play with Lisa for a while. She then asked what happened yesterday because Hannah never came back. Beth laughed when I told her that Hannah said that Lisa couldn't play. She thought that's what probably happened. Hannah had her shoes on and was halfway out the door before I got off of the phone.

Apparently, they had a very Barbie/baby doll playdate. Lisa also set up a tea party for when Hannah first arrived and they did that for about an hour. This playdate seemed to unlock the little girl that's been beaten down by all of the boy stuff. She came home and pulled out her Baby Alive and other dolls and even took one to TKD last night.

She set up Leah (her Baby Alive's name) so that she could "watch and learn" while Hannah did TKD. Bob, a third-degree black belt and one of the school's teachers, thought it was funny. I think he has a soft spot for Hannah anyway. At some point during class, all of the boys thought it would be funny to taunt the doll. Of course this made Hannah mad. I pulled the doll down so that she could sit next to me and to hopefully stop the taunting. Jacob and Daniel didn't stop for the rest of the night and it made me so angry. They were making fun of the diapering and feeding and the general idea of doll play. No wonder she didn't want to play with her dolls and stuff around them.

Before she went to sleep last night, Hannah snuggled her babies in their crib for the night. It was pretty cute. When she woke up this morning, she discovered that her babies were gone and had no idea where they went. I looked at Jacob and he just sighed. Then he told me that Daniel went into Hannah's room last night, grabbed the dolls and hid them behind Jacob's door. Do I believe Jacob had nothing to do with it? No. Anyway, I told Jacob to go get the dolls and bring them to Hannah. He comes downstairs holding the dolls by their feet like they were toxic waste. I told him that it was too bad that doll cooties were all in their feet. He didn't like that too much.

Anyway, this morning has been filled with diaper changes, bottles and feeding. Hannah tells me that they need a nap soon. As bad as this is probably going to sound, it's so cute to see her being a girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Hannah. It's fun to play with dolls. Don't let your brothers take your fun away.

heathashli said...

I always told my husband we'd raise our kids gender neutral, I try not to buy lots of "boy" toys. They have a baby stroller, a bottle w/ disappearing milk, kitchen/cooking stuff, blocks, Legos, Kid'Knex, Zoob, tons of cars, mountains of Lovies/plush, & yet they always manage to turn stuff into imaginary swords & guns. BOYS.