Friday, April 25, 2008

Surprising? Yes and No

Hannah had her speech screening this morning. She had an awesome time and thought that it was just the best thing ever. She was testing for a little over an hour while I was in a holding room with other parents. When she was done, one of the testers brought her back into the holding room to meet me where I was told that she passed her vision test with flying colors but failed her hearing test. Huh. She completely failed in her left ear and only partially failed in her right.

I think the tester thought I was going to freak out because she immediately starts telling me that Hannah could have misunderstood the directions, it could just be a fluke, etc. She then told me that they'd like to have her back for a more comprehensive test next Tuesday. Not a problem. We'll be there.

It would explain a lot about her speech patterns if she does, indeed, have some hearing loss. What's kind of shocking to me is that I'm not really upset about it. There's a touch of guilt for not having it checked out before now, but even that's a fleeting guilt. I can't wait to see what happens next week...it could be anything from there is no hearing loss to she has significant hearing loss. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Barb! Just keep remembering that Hannah is well adjusted and happy and you can so deal with a hearing loss if that's what it is. Don't feel guilty. There's no need. This is absolutely doable.

I'm glad she had fun.

Anonymous said...

We had the same problem with Evelyn. The information came from her tutor who said that Evelyn knew exactly what to do when she was facing her but when the tutor was behind Evelyn, she didn't respond. We had her hearing tested and she had lost hearing in both ears. Turned out that her hearing loss was due to enlarged tonsils and adenoids. Once removed, her hearing got better but she was still weak on the low tones. So, don't feel guilty. It happens. Just find out if there is a problem and go from there.