Thursday, April 24, 2008

Shady to Say The Least

I took Hannah to her doctor's appointment (kindergarten physical) this afternoon. When I came home, I looked through the caller-id to see if anyone had called and not left a message (like Dad does! LOL!) This strange Navigata number came up. I called the number back and asked the guy that answered why he was calling. He told me he'd look it up. He was looking for an Andrew (some last name). I told him that he had the wrong number. He told me that was fine, he'd take my number off his list. What's funny is that I blocked our number (*67) before calling, so unless he had a number block un-doer, he was making crap up.

I didn't feel good about the call, so I Googled the number which is, 646-383-1481. You would not believe the crap that came up on these guys. Apparently, they are "debt collectors" (in quotes because they really aren't) and are trying to get social security numbers and money from people. The scary part is that some of the people on the complaint site that I found said that these yahoos actually had their names, or the names of family members, already. It wasn't always some random name.

So, if 646-383-1481 or Navigata comes up on your caller id, DON'T ANSWER IT!!!! If you do answer, don't give them any information, especially your social security number! They are just looking to scam you. They won't leave a message when the machine or voice mail picks up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember taking you to your first school physical. I remember a little boy in there that was in a shrieking mode. He came up to you and screamed in your face. You just looked calmly at him and said "You Asshole!" Shut him right down.

Oh, and phone numbers. I get about one a month from some woman in Miami who wants to talk to me about a credit card. I just hang up. If you can check it out:

(305) 595-9680

Probably some kind of scam.

Dad

Anonymous said...

My mother got the same call from these SCAMMERS looking for my nephew. Well I am sure he would never had put her number down ever because My sister and her faimly do not speak to my Mother or does she speak to them. I would love to know how they get these family members numbers.