Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Cell Phones and Baseball and Bunnies...OH MY!

Mike was able to upgrade his phone last week. It arrived via UPS on Thursday afternoon. In true passive-aggressive form, I decided to make sure Mike got it...in front of everyone at TKD ("Hey Mike, your new phone arrived today...here it is"). Everyone at TKD knows how unhappy I had been with my 99 cent phone (it worked but was very annoying because it was so large). Well, the next day, Mike came home with a brand new cell for me. He had intended to get me the same model as his but they were out. The next one up was out as well. Soooo...I'm now stylin' with my new Motorola i880 camera phone (my previous phone was an i205, so this is quite a step up). Sweet. It's also the first time ever that my phone is better than Mike's. I love it!

Jacob started baseball practice last Saturday. We didn't play at all last year, so I wasn't sure how he'd do, but he was excited so I didn't think twice about just dropping him off and heading home. When I came back 1 1/2 hours later, I was pulled aside by one of the coaches and told that he cried through the whole practice. I then witnessed him throw his glove on the field and stomp off crying and saying that he wanted to quit (for that reason alone, we don't quit. Sorry but no). In the car, I asked him what had happened. Well, he has a new glove that's not broken in at all and, at one point, it fell off his hand. That led to the other kids laughing. Had it happened to Daniel, he (Daniel) would have been the first to laugh. Jacob felt that everyone was laughing at him and the practice went downhill from there. He said that everyone could do everything "perfect" and that he couldn't do anything right. I asked him if he got to bat. He told me, "yes, but I only hit the ball, like, 4 times." I certainly don't think that's not doing anything right. Fortunately, I know, from experience, that Jacob usually has a meltdown at the first practice and is fine after that. That knowledge didn't make me feel any better when I dropped Jacob off at practice last night.

When I pulled up to the field near the end of practice, I saw that they were fielding ground balls near third base. They had to get the ball and throw it to first. The first thing I noticed was that the other boys were far from "perfect" (I already knew that but it was nice to see it confirmed). I smiled when I saw Jacob, through at least three rotations, run right up to that ball and throw it to the coach at first. No tears, no problems. I was pretty proud of my little guy. I did get a little nervous when I heard the coach tell his son, "if you let the ball get past you this time, you're running 4 laps around the field!" This guy is very serious about baseball (he seems okay with the other kids but is nuts with his own), whereas the rest of us see it as a fun way to kill a summer. I hope we don't have problems.

Ruby got to be a first-grader yesterday. Monday, Daniel took a photo of him and Ruby to school to show everyone. His teacher hunted me down after school to tell me that Tuesday was going to be Rabbit Day and could Ruby come spend the afternoon with the kids? So, after Bible Study, Hannah, Ruby and I headed over to the school. Daniel was so proud as he held Ruby and I told his class about rabbits and how to care for them. What was cool was that even though we just got her on Sunday, I was able to talk about rabbits like a pro. The kids were shocked to hear that fruit (and carrots), to a bunny, is like candy to kids. They had lots of good questions and I had a lot of fun doing it. I had printed up a bunch of bunny facts, some specific to Ruby, and left them, and Ruby, with Mrs. H.

I got to the school a little earlier than normal to avoid the crowd while picking up Ruby. Mrs. H had printed up some pictures she took and showed me a flier she made of Ruby to send home with all of the first graders. Hannah and I then headed back to the front of the school to wait for the boys. I can see the first graders heading down the hallway and immediately look for Daniel, forgetting Ruby's sitting on my lap. Before I know it, I'm surrounded by about 30 6 and 7 year olds wanting to say goodbye to Ruby. Daniel's still beaming. After some prodding by Miss K, they all head outside. I see Jacob and some friends heading down the hallway and now I'm surrounded by a bunch of third graders wanted to see Jacob's new bunny. "Awww...is this Ruby?" I hear more than one kid ask Jacob. Jacob beams. They are all shuffled out the door and we begin to make our way out as well.

Had I remembered that I had to walk past the third and first graders outside, I would have chosen another way out of the building.

We are, again, overrun with children. It took us a good 15 minutes just to get out of there. It was fun, though. Granted, Ruby was not happy with me and hid in her igloo for about 45 minutes after coming home, but she seems okay now. She's such a sweet bunny.

No comments: