Monday, January 14, 2008

What Did I Do?

All of my joining is finally starting to come around to bite me in the butt. Our school district has this voice message system where each family has a voice mail account. It's a great way to get little notices out to teachers (and for them to do the same) or to other parents...you just leave a message to someone's voice mail and they can get back to you. It saves so much on notes going back and forth, potentially getting lost or ignored. I probably check ours on a daily basis since you're only allowed 15 messages total and some days we get 5 or more. Today was no exception.

I dialed in this morning to find 5 new messages in the mailbox. One from the school's new voice mail rep and two from Jacob's teacher giving the weekly agenda (she can never keep her messages under the allotted 3 minutes so she usually gets cut off and has to send a second voice mail). Then, I get this one:

"Hi! This is Betsey and if you're getting this message, you've signed up to volunteer for the third grade Southwestern Day! We're having our first planning meeting..."

Ugh. I press 9 to save it and move on to the last one.

"Hi! This is JJ and if you're getting this message, you've signed up to volunteer for the Family Night Supper and Bookfair next week! 8 me back and let me know which shift you'd like to work..."

Crap. At least Mike gets to take my place at the first grade Native American Day on Friday since I'm going to be on a plane, heading to Sue's! LOL!

9 comments:

Susan said...

You can still tell them that you just can't do it. And stop signing up for crap. You'll make yourself sick.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had bought that plaque for you. It said:

Note to self: Stop signing up for stuff!

It's January. Time to take stock of stuff. Everyone is doing it. Don't stop volunteering for stuff, just volunteer for the stuff you really want to do and won't feel resentful doing. Otherwise, politely say that you are unavailable and then be unavailable.

Anonymous said...

I remember when you said you were volunteering for all the different events at school. Eddie says that you should never volunteer for anything because then you're on the hook for just about everything. I still like to volunteer but try to keep it under control so that I don't too backed up. Perhaps you should try that. Like Debbie says, politely say you are not available.

Barbara said...

I'm looking at it this way: at least I'm not chairing anything! LOL! Actually, I don't mind the stuff that's in the classroom (like SW day or Native American day) but the book fair and family supper is going in the "I didn't get that message" file.

Anonymous said...

Hey watch it on the chairing comment. I am knee deep in FRG. LOL

Anonymous said...

I just signed Jonathan up fpr t-Ball and it took everything in me not to fill out the volunteer form. I don't think I am in the clear yet - I know I can't hold out for long - I see Team Mother in my future - hahaha

Barbara said...

Are you doing t-ball through the city or county? We did through the city for two years (two summers and two fall ball) but would have done through the county had we stayed. I'd kind of had enough of the Winchester Baseball League. They were so disorganized! I was almost team mom for one of Daniel's t-ball teams...so glad I skipped that pain in the butt! LOL!

Anonymous said...

We signed up with FCALL. Barbara Childs was there signing matthew up also. We will see what happens!

Barbara said...

That's who we would have gone with last year...you'd think WBL would have their act together but they just don't.

Is Matthew on Jonathan's team? If/when you see Barbra again, tell her I said hello, 'cause she never answers my e-mails!