Friday, November 02, 2007

It's Helpful To Have A Title (and not just publish without one!)

I headed to Wal Mart after the kids were in bed last night. I had a short list, but it always seems to take forever because the things I need are always on opposite sides of the store. Ugh. I hate that. Anyway, I got the bunny food and toothpaste from one side and then headed over to the grocery side. I remembered that I was almost out of coffee, so I headed over to get some more. I searched for the Folger's Black Silk coffee that I have been enjoying for the past month and was shocked to see that it was almost $10.00 for a can. WHAT?!? Colombian Supreme was $8.50 for a can. The last time I bought a can (a couple of weeks ago) it was about $5.50 for the can (how many times can I use the word can?). And that was at Price Chopper (just a regular grocery store).I looked at the unit prices and you know what? For the first time, that I've ever seen, it was actually cheaper to buy Starbucks coffee than it was to buy my favorite Folger's. I ended up buying some Dunkin Donuts ground coffee and it's just as good at home as it is in a Dunkin Donuts (they really do have the best coffee). I suppose that I could have bought the regular Folger's (it was $5.50 per can) but right now, I'm a little angry at them. Seriously...$10 per can for Folger's is a bit silly.

I come home and start to put the stuff away. I'm talking with Mike about what's for dinner on Friday night.

Me: We're having wraps for dinner tomorrow.
Mike: What? Scraps? From where?
Me: Scraps?!? Yes. From the garbage. You all have to eat dinner out of the garbage.
Mike: Seriously. What's for dinner? It sounded like you said scraps.
Me: WRaps. You know...chicken wraps.
Mike: (laughing) Oh. Wraps.

Not long after, Mike headed for bed. He pokes his head through the little window on the stairs and tells me to come up for a minute. I ask if something's wrong. He says no, just come up. I start to head up the stairs and see that Hannah made a little bed for herself on the floor in our bedroom doorway. Her body was in our room but her head was in the hallway. After trying to figure out what would make her decide that was a good place to sleep and just smiling about how cute she is, we put her in bed.

I asked her this morning why she was sleeping on the floor in the doorway and she said that she didn't know. My kids are strange. LOL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coffee used to come in 1lb, 2lb, and 3lb cans. Then about 25 years or so ago, I noticed that the can size stayed the same, but the weight of the coffee dropped from the usual pound increments to something less while keeping the same price. I went to the store today to get some chicken thighs and a good steak for supper when I noticed that Folger's classic blend comes in 2lb,2 1/2oz (973 grams). Then I checked out the
"Silk" coffee. Opps. It's about
100 grams less coffee than the classic. There's more ways to screw around with what you're buying than just the price on the shelf. Check the weight next time you're in the store. Oh, the size of the cannister that it comes in seems to be the same for both blends. Funny how that works. Short weights used to be illegal as hell.

Anonymous said...

Dad, they are saving you the pain of raising prices. Arn't they nice?

Barb, I like Folgers too. Jeff likes this Guatamalan blend from Leaves n Beans. Luckily, our church gets a deal on it for their coffee shop so Jeff buys it at church. It's his coffee though. You'd like it, I think. It's strong. He doesn't make it Barb strong though, lol.

Barbara said...

I love Leaves n Beans. When I was student teaching at Kelly Avenue in the Heights, I would go there every morning and get a cup of coffee. Glad to hear they're still around. I don't know if I've ever had their Guatemala blend but they have some awesome coffee.