Thursday, November 15, 2007

How Does This Make Sense?

I swear my neighbors across the street are one fry short of a Happy Meal. Amy is militant about her kids wearing their helmets when riding their bikes. I've even seen her chase Sydney down to put it on. So, why is it okay for her to take her kids to school when they don't have their seat belts on? Even worse, this morning I saw Sydney (she's 6 and in first grade) sitting in the front seat of her huge Expedition with no seat belt with Courtney (she's 5 and in kindergarten) SITTING ON SYDNEY'S LAP IN THE FRONT SEAT!!!! Oh, and obviously she didn't have a seat belt on either. Christy (she's 3) was standing between the two front seats. It's almost 2.5 miles between our houses and the school and you have to drive on a major road. It kills me to see it. You know, if you don't want to wear yours, whatever. You're an adult and can make that decision for yourself. But your kids need you to tell them to buckle up! They'll only be here for a few more weeks and then I won't have to see it anymore, but I know Amy will let it continue. It just makes me so mad!!!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Okay, that would bother the crap out of me, too.

Anonymous said...

You're right, it doesn't make sense, but you can't control what other parents do with their kids. Your job is to keep our kids safe and happy and from our end it looks like you're doing a great job.

Anonymous said...

Michele (Mark's mom) used to do that. They drove everywhere including the highway from Lincoln to here. When her girls were very small babies they were in car seats but I don't think she ever even bought the next size up. She used to tell me that she would tell them to get their seat belts on and they would unbuckle them. "What am I supposed to do?" Um, you're the mom, tell them they will get it good if they so much as think of unbuckling that seatbelt. It used to worry poor Mark to death.

Anonymous said...

I hate to see that too - I don't even let Jonathan go without a seat belt from our house to my inlaws and they live in our neighborhood just 2 streets over!!!!!