Monday, November 26, 2007

Back to the Same Old-Same Old

Bobbi and Ed arrived a little later than we had expected on Thursday, but it was just a couple of hours later so that wasn't so bad. I had brined my 20.5 pound turkey the night before and it was already in the oven when they got here. BTW, I don't know if brining the bird helped it any...it was just a extra step that I don't think I needed to make. Anyway, the turkey ended up cooking faster than I had anticipated, so dinner was served about 45 minutes earlier than I had wanted it to be. The only problem with that was trying to get all of my sides done, too. Oh well. It got done and it was a tasty Thanksgiving dinner.

Saturday, we headed into KCK for family photos. Mike takes TKD on Saturdays with a guy who's a photographer and he's the one that took the pictures. I was a little disappointed but I'm sure they'll turn out great. The kids had the best time when we put them into their TKD uniforms and told them to kick and punch. I can't wait to see those pictures!

We then headed over to Independence to the Truman Presidential Library and Museum. While it was neat to be able to see and say that we've been, it really wasn't what I was expecting. I guess I was actually expecting a library. It was absolutely a museum...lots of presidential stuff and a replica Oval Office but I didn't see anything that would resemble a library. The kids really liked meeting Harry Truman (they had a guy that looked a lot like him there) and making campaign buttons.



Coming back, there was a lot of traffic at the I435/I70 junction. At first, we thought it was a accident or something like that. Then, we realized that it was the traffic heading to Arrowhead for the KU/Mizzou game. It was backed up in all directions for miles around I70, but it was good the way we were going. We came home and watched the game, which is funny because, as Mike pointed out, I'm not into college football and I have no attachment to any of the teams. I did find myself rooting for Kansas and was upset when they lost. There will be no love for KU, however, if they have to play Bradley or SIU in basketball again this year. LOL!

It was a nice Thanksgiving and a nice visit, but that break was too short. I had to drag the kids out of bed this morning and I got a lot of glares from both boys when I even mentioned school to them. I had anticipated Jacob trying to play sick so that he could stay home but I told him that I wasn't buying it and that he was going to school. Last night, he would say that his chest hurt or that he was having a hard time breathing. I told him that if was really having a hard time breathing, I should take him to the ER. His words to me were, "Why can't we just wait until the morning to see how I feel?" That's what I thought. I'm having a hard time knowing when he's really sick since he told me he used to fake the stomach aches so that he could stay home. Silly boy, you don't tell your parents that stuff until you've made it to college!

I should probably feed Hannah some lunch so that she's got a full belly when she goes to preschool this afternoon. How many days until the weekend?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a great time. it was wonderful spending time with you and the kids. The Thanksgiving dinner was delicious.

I had been to the Truman Library and Museum before so I knew what to expect. There are parts that we didn't get to and maybe that is where the library is. Anyway, there were parts that the kids enjoyed (meeting Harry Truman, making the badges, listening on the phones). Eddie really enjoyed it.

I hope the pictures come out good. Looking forward to seeing them.