Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Preparations

*Update* It is now snowing quite heavily. The ground seems to be too warm for it to stick to the roads but it's definitely sticking to the grass and deck.


The kids are off of school for the holiday and we've all just been hanging out this morning. I really need to get my act together and get the shopping done or we will have nothing to eat for tomorrow! Actually, it's mostly just picking up our turkey but it's the act of leaving the house. I still have to make the pies and cornbread for the cornbread stuffing but I may just end up buying one pie and making the other. I did get the kitchen and fridge cleaned so there's room for the turkey and there's a load of dishes washing in the dishwasher, so I guess I have done something today.

The weather has been absolutely nuts. Monday and Tuesday, we were in the low 70's and today we're in the low 30's. It's just raining right now but people just to our north are reporting light snow. Hopefully, it'll stop before tomorrow when Bobbi and Ed fly in. There's a guy on the weather blog who's an air traffic controller and he's keeping those of us who need to know how the travel conditions are at the airports. He did say that Chicago wasn't looking good today. Ugh.

Anyway, I just thought I'd blog real quick and let everyone know we're still here. We're cold, but still here. Hey Deb, how's your turkey grillin' weather there in Illinois?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hey Deb, how's your turkey grillin' weather there in Illinois?" Miserable, lol. We're garage grillin' today. It is better than a few years ago when we got a bunch of snow. That was a treat.

I'm glad your preparations are going well. I got my turkey yesterday so I could cook it today. I made up a huge batch of chicken stock to make gravy and to put on the sliced turkey today. MIL is going to make the pies.

When I was driving home from Morton yesterday, I was thinking of all the preparations I needed to make and thinking of the stuffing. That always makes me think of Mom. Funny how things sneak up on you and clobber you over the head.

I hope Bobbi and Ed get in ok. They are travelling tomorrow? That actually should be better, shouldn't it?

Have a great Thanksgiving, Barb. We have so much to be thankful for. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Our weather report is that we're going to have wet snow today and tonight stopping around 3 a.m. Then starting up again tomorrow afternoon. Hope this is what actually happens. Our flight leaves at 6 a.m. tomorrow morning. We're hoping for the best. Hope the Thanksgiving Feast preparations are going well. We'll be able to help out once we get there.

Barbara said...

I have a hard time with the stuffing, too. I'm going to make cornbread stuffing this year and in the past few years, Mom started making that for me because she knew that I liked it. I had my head clobbering yesterday at my Bible study...broke down in the middle of it like a blubbering banana, which made everyone else cry which made me cry harder for making everyone else cry. Just gotta make it through the holidays, I guess.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving too, Deb. Give everyone hugs for me and I love you too!

Barbara said...

And Bobbi...we're hoping and praying that you get here safely. If I know Ed like I think I do, he's already pretty stressed out about the whole thing. I hope you don't have to leave for O'Hare at 1AM!

Susan said...

We're buying ours premade. I just don't have the energy to attempt it. We pick it all up tomorrow.

I cannot believe you have snow. Crazy, I tell ya!

Bobbi and Ed, travel safe! Hopefully you won't have any delays.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna pig out at Debbies! It's been raining all day and is supposed to snow later tonight. I'm glad I got my traveling done last weekend.

Bobbi and Ed: I hope that you have a good and safe flight out to Kansas City in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Man, I wish that I could learn how to hit "Shift" instead of "Enter".

Hmmmm. There's a lady bug crawling across the top of my key board.

Anonymous said...

The turkey is done and sliced. The gravy is made and cooling in the fridge. The weather is gross. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving! It's one of my favorite holidays. Mark and Dana are coming tomorrow too. I will be praying for Bobbi and Ed's flight tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

We had a safe trip, both to Kansas and home, with both ends of the trip being delayed. Everything was wonderful land we really enjoyed being with the family.