Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Adventures In Scouting

The boys came home from their playdate this afternoon (they had a great time) and immediately had to get ready for tae kwon do. We ran out there and had class...then we ran over to the school for the Cub Scout meeting. I was really hoping that this wouldn't be very long since the kids were tired and hadn't eaten dinner yet.

The kids all go over to play in the little area that they had set up and I started talking to some familiar faces. Brandon and Crystal's dad (friends from TKD who also go to the same school) came over to say hello. Then Theresa (Zephan and Caden's mom) came in and sat down next to me. We listened to a brief overview of scouting and were handed registration forms while one of the leaders started building dens.

Ahhh...Boy Scouts is NOTHING like Girl Scouts. I tell you what...my head was swimming from all of the code. Daniel's in first grade, so that means he's a Tiger Cub. Jacob's in third grade, so that means he's a Bear Cub. They will each be in their own Den (there are 5-6 Tiger Dens with 8 boys in each and 2 Bear Dens also with 8 boys a piece) and the whole school (all 15 or so Dens...the school is very active with Cub Scouts) make up our Pack. (Second grade is Wolf and fourth/fifth grade is Webelos...sixth and above is Boy Scouts.) The Dens meet a couple of times a month and the Pack meets monthly.

This Pack is pretty all-in when it comes to scouting. They've already announced the first family camp-out (in October), have given us basic info on the Pinewood Derby and about the big Blue and Gold Banquet they hold yearly. They also outlined the summer day-camp and overnight camps (they learn to shoot bow and arrows as well as BB guns). This should be right up Jacob's alley.

Theresa and I were able to wrangle our boys into the same Dens and we're already planning carpools to meetings. Now, I have to worry about uniforms.

Here's some fun trivia...can anyone tell me what percentage of Cub Scouts go on to become Eagle Scouts? (because "Cub Scouts is where Eagle Scouts are born!" That's according to our Pack Leader) I was actually shocked at the answer.

Next year, Hannah can join Daisy Girl Scouts.
*banging head on keyboard*

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not very many boy scouts become Eagle scouts but I know 3! I hope they enjoy themselves. Grandpa would be so happy.

Barbara said...

This pack would definately make Grandpa proud. They are very active. You know 3 Eagle scouts? Wow. That's impressive. I will say that the percentage of boys becoming Eagles in our area is slightly higher than the national average (not by much, though).

Anonymous said...

We were wondering if any of our grandchildren would want to be scouts. We spent so many wonderful years in Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. We're thrilled that we're going to have scouts in the family again. I don't know the actual percentage of those that go on to be Eagle Scouts but I bet Mr. Bernstein does. Bobbi and Eddie

Barbara said...

I think that being a scout, even if just for a few years, is really important. I have a lot of good memories from Girl Scouts...horseback camp and troop campouts, etc. and I know that Mike has some good stories from Boy Scouts (I think there was one about Marc sleeping in Mike's sleeping bag after Mr. Bernstein told some ghost story). I always wish I had stayed with it. I hope the boys have fun.

Anonymous said...

If you are active with the children, they'll take the lead from you and run with it. By the way, I went on the Scouting Web Site and found out that only 4% of scouts make Eagle. Neither Marc nor Mike made it. I know the whole family will enjoy scouts. We have some wonderful stories. We can talk about it when we're there. Bobbi and Eddie

Barbara said...

It's interesting that the web site says 4%. That's not the percentage we were given. Huh.

Barbara said...

Okay...that number was based on Boy Scouts becoming Eagle...so what percentage of Cub Scouts become Eagle? :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, there is a family from First Baptist who have 4 boys very active in scouts. Their father is very active too. Their two oldest boys made eagle and I'm sure the third is going for it too. He's a senior this year. The other eagle I know is a lady I know from my message board. The one I met in Indiana on vacation last year. He is not what you think of when you think scout or eagle scout. They all had cool projects. In the family from church, one set up a fire pit, picnic table and benches at the church. The other set up an archery range at a church camp. The one in Indiana, directed a mural at the local shelter. It was beautiful. I love all the community service, moral training and just plain common sense stuff the scouts teach.

Anonymous said...

Scout pictures coming at you. I would have a lot more, but your Granddad donated his European Jamboree scrapbook to a Scout museum in Sterling. I haven't been able to find the museum when Bob and I went up there several years ago, but hopefully it's still there.

Susan said...

I would guess it's about like how many Girl Scouts become Seniors. Something like almost 1%. It's pretty cool, though. They have to do so much for the community. Good for them! Grandpa would be asking when the Europe trip is, no?

Barbara said...

Sue is the grand prize winner. The answer is 1%. In our area, it's just about 1.5%.

Susan said...

Dang, and I actually guessed! LOL

Barbara said...

Well, it was a good guess! :)