Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pile It On

So I just got off of the phone with Mrs. P, the school psychologist. They've had to tweak Daniel's behavior plan to work better for him. Apparently, Mrs. T, Daniel's teacher, is upset because the plan works for other kids in the class, but not for Daniel. Whatever. All I know is that they are now bribing Daniel to be good. He gets a good report for the day and he gets a Yu-Gi-Oh card. According to Mrs. P, Daniel wants to be good and is desperately trying but needs something tangible.

You wanna know what I think? I think it's all crap! I think they are expecting too much from these 5 and 6 year olds and are doing whatever they can to get these kids to act a year or two older than they are. Amazingly, more than 1/4 of the boys in his class have "behavior plans" and apparently are lacking social skills (something Daniel has NEVER lacked...I'm sorry, but it's BS). We didn't have any of these "problems" in Virginia...not in preschool or in his kindergarten.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that young Daniel has been sneaking down at night and watching the Sopranos. I'm surprised that he hasn't upped the ante to "Naruto" cards.

Barbara said...

I'm just shocked that they would go to this level. I mean really, bribing a kid to have him be good?

The good news is there's only a couple of weeks left in the school year. Daniel's done the day after Memorial Day.

Anonymous said...

You can always say no, Barb. He's your kid and if you disagree with that, say no. Tell them you feel like they are bribing him and that it doesn't go with what you are teaching him at home.