Tuesday, March 06, 2007

New Enhanced Fujita Scale

I don't know if everyone knows but they've redone the Fujita scale that's used to rate tornadoes. You can click here to check out the new Enhanced Fujita ratings that went into effect on February 1st. On the left side of the chart, is the old scale and on the right is the new. Tornadoes will now be rated on an "EF" scale instead of simply "F". You can read more at the NWS Storm Prediction Center Website. There's also some good tornado safety information here.

A county to the south of us had the first EF4 tornado in the country (previous tornadoes under this scale were EF3 or less) on February 28th. The same storm that gave us the golfball sized hail. To put the new scale into perspective, this EF4 tornado would probably have been the same as an F3 on the old Fujita Scale...still a very impressive and destructive tornado to say the least. They're saying it's going to be a pretty wicked season.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, F or EF...either way, you lose the doublewide.

(^_^)

Barbara said...

Every time I hear the word "doublewide," I hear this song in my head...

"This is the queen of my doublewide trailer with the polyester curtains and the redwood deck. Sometimes she runs and I've got to trail her...dang her black heart and her pretty red neck."

I love Sammy Kershaw.