Friday, March 30, 2007

Ice Skating

Hannah had her first ice skating lesson today. It was probably the cutest thing I've ever seen. There are two other little girls in her class...one on the same level she is and one is far more advanced. We had to walk down a long hallway to get to the rink ...it's a little one just for young kids. Hannah's teacher and I had to hold her up as she walked down the hall with her skates on. I figured that if the walk was any indication, after 5 minutes on the ice, Hannah would be crying that she wanted to go home.

We weren't allowed in the ice area since it's so small but they had windows we could watch through. Her teacher gave Hannah a walker and put her on the ice. To my surprise, she loved it! Every time she fell (which really wasn't often) she'd get right back up and keep going. By the end of the 30 minutes, she was able to let go of the walker, pick up a toy and stand back up. I was highly impressed. When it was over, I asked Hannah if she wanted to take off her skates right then and she told me no. So, we walked the long hallway back to the skate rental. She didn't want a hand to hold and insisted on doing it herself...and she did. Just like she'd always been doing it.

She's so excited for next week. I wonder how long she'll have to use the walker.

I didn't get great pictures since I was taking them through a window, but I thought these were cute. She's the one wearing the stiped pants.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute! What a great idea.

Barbara said...

I just happened to be reading through the park district catalog and said something like, "oh, they even have skating lessons." Hannah immediately began begging to take the lessons. I figured why not? I liked to skate as a kid, why shouldn't she?