Sunday, December 10, 2006

Weekend Update

The kids had such fun with Anna the babysitter last week that we called her up to see if she'd babysit again this weekend. She said that she would. All day yesterday, Jacob kept telling me that she had promised to bring her Pokemon stuff the next time she came and that he was really looking forward to seeing it. I told him that he shouldn't be mad if she forgot. Well, she didn't. She not only brought the Pokemon cards with her but a couple of other games as well. When she walked in the door last night, it was like Mike and I didn't even exist. We tried and tried to get the kids attention but they were so into Anna and what she brought that they never even said goodbye to us, or heard us say goodbye to them. Mike and I walked out of the house laughing that this had never happened before.

Mike took me to this really great steakhouse for dinner. Since we had a little wait for our table (although, because of call ahead seating, it wasn't that long), we headed over to the bar for drinks and appetizers. We talked a lot about if Kansas was what I thought it would be. Honestly, it's just like anywhere else. Since we're in a suburban area, it's a lot like Chicago without the traffic. I would even go so far as to say that the traffic in Winchester is worse than it is here. It's also a lot newer so it doesn't seem as dingy as some areas in the suburbs of Chicago (the Dundee/Rand road area for example). The whole area reminds me a lot of the newer area by Sam's in Peoria. It still feels open even though it's developed. There are a lot of people in the area but it really doesn't feel like it. The idea of farms as far as the eye can see and The Wizard of Oz emptyness is really no where to be found around where we are. Although I get the impression that many have embraced the idea of Dorothy since you can find Oz stuff everywhere. (a neighbor has a really cute Tin Man windchime) Anyway...

We hadn't been waiting long when our buzzer went off. Mike stayed behind to take care of the bar bill and I went to get our table. What Mike missed, and I neglected to tell him last night for fear of teasing, was that I slipped on the way to the table (which is also why my shoes were hurting my feet last night) and almost fell on my butt. The hostess turned around and said "Oh my! Are you okay?" and several tables turned around to stare. I didn't fall, though, and didn't even spill my wine! LOL

The steak was awesome! I would go so far as to say that it was probably the best steak I've ever had. Yummy.

When we came home, I realized again how much I like Anna. The house was quiet and the kitchen was clean. She had packed up the pizza and put it in the fridge, dishes were in the sink, table was wiped down, the floor was swept and the kids were asleep! I love this girl!

This morning, Jacob told me that he was so exhausted from playing that he went right to sleep last night.

We got an invitation yesterday to go caroling with neighbors next week. As in the entire street is going out. Someone rented a big truck to do a hayrack ride from place to place. It sounds like fun and we can't wait to go. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anna sounds like a gem. What a difference it makes when you know your kids are in good hands when you leave. And to clean up too?

The caroling sounds so fun. Have a great time!