Friday, December 08, 2006

Read For 2007 Read For Life

Daniels' class invited all of the parents and siblings to come and participate in a reading program this morning. Daniel's teacher signed their class up to read for 2007 seconds (33 1/2 minutes) through a program with Scholastic that they dubbed the "world's largest children's read-a-thon." So we packed up some books to read and some pillows and headed to school. Jacob was upset because he had to walk across the parking lot into school...he likes it better when he's just dropped off because he doesn't have to wait for everyone else - he can just walk into the building(it didn't help that it was 15 degrees outside - I don't know what the wind chill was).

Hannah and I sign into the office and we head to Daniel's room. (Jacob had ditched us long before) The room is packed with kids and parents. There were only 2 kids without a parent there. I felt bad for them. Mrs. L put them with two other parents to read. Both Hannah and Daniel did well until there was about 5 minutes left. Then Daniel kept asking when recess is and when can they do something else. I was actually really surprised at how well all of the kids sat and listened for 33 1/2 minutes.

When it was time to go, Daniel got upset. He wanted to come with me and/or wanted me to stay. After some encouragement, he was fine with me leaving, so Hannah and I packed up the pillows and books and headed for home.

I can tell that there is a really high parent participation rate at the school. That's nice to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Barb.