Sunday, October 08, 2006

Some Funny Stuff

I was reading the Washington Post Magazine today which is unusual since we typically don't get the Sunday Post at all. I guess it's the moral question at work here...our subscription expired (when we didn't update our credit card info) and stopped receiving it for about a month. Then we started getting it again, but not on Sundays - although we haven't been paying for it. Today, we got the Sunday version and still haven't paid for it. Now that I've put it on the blog, I'm sure I'll have 30 people calling and telling them that we owe for 2 months of service! LOL! Whatever. Anyway, here's what I found in there this morning:

Gene Weingarten has an article today called "Post-Modern Stupidity" in which he basically pranks people for the fun of it. He decided to prank people at the Post...specifically the Real Estate Classifieds, The Post Medical Writer, Personal Classified Advertising and Circluation. I'll share Mike's favorite and my favorite:

My Favorite: David Brown, MD, The Post's medical writer
Me: As a parent and political conservative, I would like to express my outrage over your article titled "E. Coli Blamed on Spinach."
David: Okay...
Me: Do you have any idea how hard it is to get children to eat spinach without an aritcle suggestiong it will give them fire-hose diarrhea?
David: Are you serious?
Me: Yes.
David: Well, this is not a prohibition against eating spinach for the rest of your life. Just not eating prepackaged fresh spinach until this outbreak is...
Me: Well, connect the dots, man! It's a subliminal message, typical of the liberal press in its war on family values. You are always trying to subvert parental authority, aren't you?
David: Would you expose your child to a potentially fatal disease? Is that better than discouraging him from eating a green leafy vegetable?
Me: Yes.
David: It's an interesting point of view.
Me: While you're at it, why don't you just write an article that says obeying your parents can cause leprosy?
David: I...just...don't...quite...know...where...to...start.
Me: Are you a pinko?

Mike's favorite: Circulation
Me: I would like to buy a subscription to the Washington Post, but I have a small, specific request.
Jane: Okay.
Me: You know those long plastic sleeves the paper comes in? Well, every day I would like two of them. You'd put the paper in one and a meatball sub in the other.
Jane: Ha-ha
Me: Really.
Jane: I don't think so.
Me: You people are always offereing special subscription deals. That's mine.
Jane: I don't have a deal like that. I do apologize.
Me: Good God, no wonder the newspaper business is dying. You people don't really want to sell subscriptions, do you?
Jane: I just can't do anything about a meatball sub.
Me: How about tuna fish?

3 comments:

Susan said...

You don't owe for it. You didn't resubscribe. If they choose to keep sending you the paper, that's their problem - not yours. No moral thing there.

Barbara said...

LOL! It just made me feel like we were stealing cable or something!

Susan said...

You can actually cause more troubles if you call them. They'll send you a bill, and maybe try to send you to collections. If they ever do this, make them send you a copy of the paper saying you were resubscribing. Newspapers suck.