Monday, October 02, 2006

No Freaking Way

OMG...I've turned into Dad. I didn't much think of it when it happened the first time but it's happened again tonight (the first time it was over how the democrats wanted the 9/11 mini series pulled).

I found myself in the middle of a nasty gun control arguement on the GA message board tonight. When the other girl said that conceal carry doesn't make a difference in crime rates and that the statistics are padded by the Republicans, I went off on her. It got nasty. I actually accused her of wanting the government to come into everyone's homes and raid them for guns. I was so proud of my fellow boardies, though. Most were of the opinion that gun control doesn't really work and that (this was my favorite line of tonight) disarming the citizens and only allowing the armies to have access to guns would be a nightmare.

She told me that I have an NRA soul. Here's a typical arguement between us (this is actual transcript):

Her: no, i'm just saying that if the CRIMINALS had easy access to the guns, instaed of carrying thier little butcher knives, they could have done a lot more damage when they robbed all those convinience stores.. would you disagree?

The only difference between your city and mine is that in mine, the criminals carry guns. And frankly, i wish all they had were the butcher knives.

which city do you live in btw where no criminal ( or crazy person) has manged to get his hands on a gun? Sounds like utopia in america.


Me: Conceal Carry baby. You don't know who's packin' and who's not. The criminals don't want to get shot either.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing that it would be so much better to outlaw all guns because of a few criminals who have no self control. Let's just dummy everything down to the lowest common denominator. Sounds like hell to me.

I hate this democratic baloney. It didn't work with prohibition, it hasn't worked for drugs and it won't work with guns.



WTF is going on with me? OMG...she did not just go there (sorry...it's still going on). Someone brought up 9/11 and the box cutters and here's what she had to say:


Her: apples and freaking oranges......the people died becuase they were armed with box cutters on a PLANE, which was BOUGHT DOWN. The weapon here was not the box cutters, that was simply a means to bring the plane down. Crashing the plane was the weapon there.

and by the way, the person who used air marshalls w/ guns as a reason for why guns should be around, i'm all for it.

Robin...take box cutters to a school, and see how much damage you can do.

Me: A handful of men armed with box cutters and a few airplanes were able to carry out the single most deadly attack on this country. Period. We are still feeling the repercussions from 9/11. Tell me that people who are motivated won't find another way to kill than with a gun.

I don't know what the answer is. It scares the crap out of me knowing that my two precious boys get on a bus everyday and head to school. I think they're safe, but are they really? At the same time, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. We don't know what's going to happen.

Another Girl: Woah! The box cutters were not a weapon?! Did the terrorists not KILL the pilots with the box cutters before taking the plane down?! You cannot hijack a plane w/o some sort of weapon.

Robin (a friend of mine on the board): A girl had her throat cut last week at a school near here...........not with a gun.....with a knife.


Listen.....our forefathers were smart people....they didn't have the right to bear arms in our Constitution just so they could hunt. They knew that if the only people who had guns...were the police and the military---and the criminals....then regular society is McScrewed.


Here's how it all ended...

Her:the problem is sunshine, they often DONT destroy the guns they collect. Only a few of the states do it. I want ALL the states to do it.

get THAT at least?

Me:Debate over...I don't mind a lively debate but when you begin to attack me personally (and this is the second time you've done it -first time when you sarcastically called me "lady") I'm done. I don't need to be called names.

Have a good flight to New Zealand

Her:lol...simplify it to a simple yes or no question and she chickens out.

anyway i'll be staying here thanks. I live in the good part of town, its only those poor sods in the crappy part of town dying in shootouts daily, becuase nobody bothers to take even illegally seized guns out of circulation....but then who cares about them right?

and about kids, god thats when i'll have to start praying everyday

Me:okay...to answer your question...no I still don't get what your problem is. I think you have a really hard time explaining your point and I'm disappointed with myself that I let you suck me into this.

I don't know why you're bothering staying...you hate it there so much and are terrified for your life. Poor thing. Must suck to have all of the answers.

And don't ever EVER tell me that I don't care about kids. I have three beautiful children and until you have your own, you have NO IDEA what it's like to have to watch them grow up in this world. NO IDEA so you can just shut the hell up.

Get off your G0D DAMNED high horse and get out in your community and make a freaking difference if you are really so sad about the "crappy part of town."

Robin:hehehehehe....wow....barb.....how do ya really feel?? btw....ITA

4 comments:

Susan said...

Barb, see Glenn's blog about how far do we let them go in taking away our rights.

Anonymous said...

Good on you Barb.

Barbara said...

This girl just didn't get it. She ended up changing her story several times. First, she called for an all out ban on all guns and then it was just confiscating guns used in crimes. She actually said there would be very few guns on the street if they took away the guns used by criminals.

She even told one girl who's husband is a hunter that she doesn't live in the 17th century...she can go to the store to buy meat!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone was just nice to each other and we didn't have to defend ourselves and make these arguments. Too bad we can't live in a Walgreen's commercial. The fact is there are awful people that want to hurt or kill you and you have to defend yourself.