Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Gun Control Continued...

I checked the board this morning and there was a really well written post that I thought I'd share. This person said everything so much better than I did. (the italics are where she's quoting the girl I was argueing with...and the comments were mostly directed at things that I said to her.)



I knew I should've ignored this thread, the ignorance being spouted is enough to make me sick.

I'm saying do whatever it takes to get a bloody milkman from getting his hands on them and shooting the place up. Other developed nations have managed this ...is it too much to ask that america do the same?

Other developed nations have managed to do what exactly? They've eliminated homicide by guns appears to be your point here. I must be reading that wrong, you can't honestly believe that there is a country where there is no crime that is committed with a gun.


there are darned good reasons most other developed nations have more stringent gun control laws.....please think about that

What are those darned good reasons? What facts support your position, your feelings and what you think should be done are not reasons. I have actually thought (and read, researched and studied) about gun control laws, and I can't list a single good reason, much less darned good ones.


btw,The crime statistic you were talking about...a conservative think tank came up w/ that

I actually hate statistics, you can distort them easily to support any position. However, when the same outcome appears across multiple instances, it's harder to refute. That trend would be that once a country takes away guns from the law abiding citizens, the rate of crime, particularly violent crime, increases. It has happened in Brazil, England, Russia and Australia, and their police records and sociology studies support that, not those evil conservative think tanks.


but have you thought of this little point, its easier to disarm somebody armed with a knife than one armed with a gun?

Once again, this is based on your personal opinion, not facts. Disarment of any weapon off a person is difficult, even with training. If knives are so useless and you can easily disarm a person, how is it that knives are effectively used in crimes all the time?


And if a person buys 20 guns from a gun store, i'm asking that the store should raise flags. A man needs only one gun to kill bambi. Ok, he can have 3 if he likes. But 20 is too much

Cause obviously the only reason for owning guns that is acceptable to you is for hunting. Who are you to determine what people can own, what hobbies they can enjoy, what items they can collect, what family heirlooms they can pass on? Your fear and lack of knowledge about guns and gun owners is embarrassingly apparent.

many ways to monitor exactly how many guns one single person buys....does your NRA soul raise objections to that?

Not only does my NRA soul raise objections, but my American soul is disgusted that you advocate restricting my Constitutional right to own guns. You don't get to pick and choose which rights you think I should be entitled to. You don't restrict a Constitutional right because some people will abuse it.

only after you can prove you have neither a criminal record nor are you a schizo.Any objections there?

Background checks lead to ILLEGAL registries of names and addresses of gunowners. There are federal laws that prohibit such registries from being made, and yet state officials still compile them. Background checks and waiting periods only effect law abiding citizens, criminals don't waltz into stores and purchase guns. Laws and regulations won't effect how many guns criminals can obtain, they just make it harder for honest people to get.

making guns a little less accessible by stringent gun control laws is the only thing that can help.

Let me reiterate, gun control laws HAVE NO EFFECT on accessibility to criminals.


This is me doing my bit...trying to get poeple to understand how gun control might reduce the number of guns flooding the streets.

You've failed to supply any facts to support this. When all the data from countries with gun control and bans says the opposite occurs, you should rethink your position. Or at least do some research instead of using probably and maybe as an argument.


I live in liberal land

Where the criminals have the power because you choose not to exercise your rights.

I live in America where I appreciate and believe in exercising ALL my Constitutional rights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for the author of that piece. It's very well written.

Susan said...

Nice. Does this gun hater realize that there are actually a few towns that require every citizen over the age of 18 to own a gun? They have no crime because everybody is armed - and everybody knows it. I don't think it's in Texas, either. lol