Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I Love Our New Doctor

So, Daniel had his kindergarten physical today. Everyone was so nice and helpful. The nurse showed us to the room and brought in a machine to check Daniel's eyes and hearing. He got confused as to the directions during the hearing test so they were not able to finish the test. They noticed that Daniel's far vision was good but we might want to take him to get his near vision checked. Daniel weighs 43 pounds and is 43 1/2 inches tall. The nurse looked at him and said, "you're a square!" Here's the funny part about that...he's in the 75% percentile for both height and weight! I was shocked!

The doctor came in and asked Daniel to spell his name (he did it just fine) and count to 10. Daniel looked at her like she had three heads. She says, "can you count my fingers?" He starts counting and doesn't stop until he gets to 21. Then he looks at her and says, "that's it. 21 is as far as I can count." She laughed. She asked if I had any of his shot records because that's all they really need. I said no. I then told her about the struggle I had yesterday. She told me that Dr. Butt is famous for not sending records and maybe I could call Daniel's preschool and see if I could get his shot records from his file there. Great idea! I'll be doing that this afternoon. She thanks me for coming in and says that the nurse will be in shortly with the shots.

20 seconds later, the nurse pops her head in with a Miss Spider book, Daniel's reward for his kindergarten checkup, and says that I need to initial some things and she and two other nurses will be back in a second. What? Two other nurses? So, three of them walk in and our nurse sits down next to Daniel on the table. She tells him to sit on her lap. Before I could really see what was going on, the other two nurses had stuck Daniel in each arm with shots and proclaimed him done. Daniel was more than angry. I was impressed at how quickly they got it done. One of the nurses said that it took a while to get the technique down but they find it incredibly effective.

We walk to the check out and the receptionist asked if Daniel had shots. I said that yes he did. She pulls out this pack of goodies and hands it to him. Just then, one of the nurses walks by and tells Daniel that he's a lucky boy to get all of that stuff...he literally turned his back on her. She looks at me, laughs and says, "he's still mad at me, huh?" I told her not to worry, that he tended to not hold grudges for long.

I'm so glad that we've switched pediatricians. This is more of what I was looking for!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh I'm so glad you have a good one now! Your old doctor - don't let him get away with not sending the records. He has to keep them (as in write them) but they DO NOT BELONG TO HIM! As the Mom, they belong to you. If he stalls, tell him that you will report him - and DO IT! I hope Daniel is over his ordeal. lol