Monday, July 17, 2006

Stupid Idiot Doctor

Okay...I've been waiting a while to be able to switch pediatricians. Our current one, Dr. Butt (that's what Jacob calls him) is a quack. (Sorry, Sara, I know he's your Dr too, but I really think he is a quack.) On a couple of occasions, he's flat out told me that he didn't know what was wrong with my kids, he's told me that Hannah's fat and needs to go on a diet, and he's told me that Hannah had scabies when she had poison ivy. Unfortunately, he was the only one who took our insurance. Thankfully, we switched insurance and I can now take the kids to a good pediatrician. Our new pediatrician told me that I need to have the kids records sent over to them and that I need to sign a record release at our current doctor's office.

So I go in today, with the kids, a little after one. There isn't anyone in the office...I'm wondering if they're still on lunch...I look and see the secretary. I tell her that I need to sign a record release form. She tells me that I need to go to the new doctor to do that. That's not what I was told, I tell her. This brings out Dr. Butt who's very agitated. "That form does more than release your children's records," he tells me in a very huffy and degrading voice. "It also says that they are taking over the responsibility for your children's health and well-being. Them telling you to come here to sign the form should tell you that they are shirking their responsibility in that area." Like he did this great job taking care of my kids. He then tells me that, "I could release the records to you, at fifty cents a page. We could charge you for having them sent directly to the new doctor as well, but we don't, as a courtesy." I looked at him, rolled my eyes and told the kids to head towards the door. Jacob asked me if we were done there, and I told him, "we are most certainly done with this quack," and opened the door. The lady who was coming in with her kid heard me say that and her eyes got really big. I pulled out my cell phone and called the new dr. I told them what happened and told her what Dr. Butt had said about them shirking their responsibility...she started laughing. She told me to come on in and I could sign the form at their office. So that's what we did. This guy's such an idiot and I can't wait to meet our new doctor tomorrow.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Barb, those are YOUR records, not his. And yes, he can charge a small copy fee, but it has to be WITHIN REASON. In Illinois, we weren't allowed to charge more than 10 cents a page (except for the first page, which was something like $20, lol) What a jackass. Glad you're done with him.

Barbara said...

It's just that we've had such good pediatricians in the past...I wasn't expecting to have a bad one. It kind of floors me that he, personally, came out to yell at me about it. He was really angry. If I've learned anything from this, it's that I can't just sit there and let some doctor walk all over me again.

the Joneses said...

No offense taken -- I want to find another dr. myself. I've never had any problems with him, but never quite trusted him entirely.

-- SJ

Barbara said...

I can give you the name of the group I'm going to now, if you want me to!