Monday, June 05, 2006

Monday (I can't think of a better title)

Another Monday. Jacob's last Monday for this school year. His last day is this Wednesday and he's so excited. We're in negotiations for Luke and Jake to spend the night on Thursday. Just a little treat for all of them.

John and Donna have offered to let us have their wooden swingset that is currently in their backyard. They don't intend on taking it to their new house and want it removed so that their backyard looks larger. I asked Donna how much they want for it and she said nothing...we're doing them a favor. It's all a matter of figuring out how to move it from their backyard to ours. Wayne has said he can help us move it this weekend. He's so handy. We have awesome neighbors!

I finally finished Teacher Man by Frank McCourt. It only took me 8 months to do it. I'm happy that I read it but I can't say that I would tell others to read it. Angela's Ashes was such a phenomenal book and this one was so scattered. Random thoughts with no sense of cohesion other than all are stories from his teaching career. The next book on my list (I'm trying to get through all of the books I have but have never actually read) is Cavedweller by Dorothy Allison. I loved her book Bastard Out of Carolina. I read that when I was taking Women's Lit at Bradley. I hope this one's as good. Other books on my summer reading list (I need something to do while I watch the kids play outside) are The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan and The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I need to go through the box in the garage and figure out what other books are out there. I have We Were the Mulvaney's sitting on the bookshelf but it's a miserable book. Any ideas or suggestions for my summer reading list would be appreciated!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm always on the lookout for good summer reading material. I need to make a list too and head to the library.

Barbara said...

I highly recommend Angela's Ashes. A very quick read. Memoirs of a Geisha is also good and The Nanny Diaries is fun.

Anonymous said...

For a good fun light read I enjoyed "The Reading Group" It is set in England and is about a group of women who are in a book group. I really enjoyed it - I have a copy if you want to borrow.

Barbara said...

Thanks, Michelle. I may have to borrow that from you!