Thursday, April 20, 2006

Good Grief...Only Thursday

This seems to be the longest week ever. Jacob and Daniel finally went back to school earlier this week after over a week off and I don't feel like I've stopped going. Running here and there. Getting the newsletter done...only to have to do it again because the computer froze and I lost all of my work just as I was trying to save it. Getting it to the printer, folded and labeled...another 2 hours lost. My house looks like a tornado came through because I haven't been home...or we've been otside and haven't been cleaning. Allergies are acting up...my left eye is all blown up and red. Nasty. Lots of emotional ups and downs this week...I'll get to that in another post.

Today was pretty good, though. We went to my MOMS Club meeting this morning and disovered that construction season (I still don't know for sure around here but back in Illinois, there are two seasons: winter and construction) has begun. Hit two construction zones in the short distance to the church where we have our meetings. Not many attendees but I knew pretty much everyone there and there was a lot of joking around. Nominations for the board started today and Michelle and I were talking about who to nominate. Bette asks if I'm planning on running again. I said that if I'm nominated, I'll probably accept but I'm not nominating myself. Wendy says something like "so, you want to be on the board again." I said "I didn't exactly say that." she says, "but you were implying that you were wanting to run again." to that, I say, "People say that I imply a lot of things." She laughed and said, "yeah, I guess they do." After the meeting, Michelle asked me if I'd like to go to lunch with her and Jonathan. The only thing I had to do today was go to the grocery store (at some point, I have to clean the house) so I agreed to meet her.

Michelle lives in a neighborhood with a really interesting HOA (Home Owners Association)...Libertarian friends are going to love this. There are two (they're pretty much self-appointed, aren't they, Michelle?) guys who are serving on the board and they get to decide what the rules are. No homeowner vote...nothing. They actually want people with fences (they can only have "natural" wood fences) to have to pay the HOA to stain their fences each year! No one would be allowed to do it themselves. This is because they want people to do it every year and the only way they can guarantee that it gets done is by the HOA doing it themselves. Nice, huh? They even want people to submit, and get approval on, landscaping plans down to what kind of flowers they're going to plant. On the other hand, our HOA is beginning to relax a lot of rules...like the stupid one about having an above ground pool (they're currently not allowed because someone might drown. Isn't that great?!?) You just can't get away from HOA's out here. It's wierd.

Well, I really should at least vacuum sometime today. Mike's got play practice again tonight and I need to try to find a sitter for Saturday night. Only one more day until the weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah - I think you got my HOA described accurately - but you forgot the part about "Snowbird is watching you" and MR Prez lunging at me during the meeting. Oh how I am going to miss this place when we move where there is NO HOA!!!!

Barbara said...

How could I have forgotten about Snowbird!?! That's just creepy. How did you manage to not get thrown out of that meeting?