Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Ramblings

I finally stepped on the scale today. I don't think I've gone anywhere near it in a week. I haven't been following Weight Watchers at all in the last two weeks and am very upset with myself. Luckily, I've only gained 2 pounds. At this rate, I'm never going to hit my goal. In all actuality, I could announce myself at goal right now and be done with it (the weight loss portion) but I'm still not happy with the way that I look and really want to lose at least 7 more pounds. I just hate being in-between sizes. Now, if I can just get my butt into WW tomorrow for official weigh in!

Has anyone noticed the lack of beauty and artistry in the figure skating lately? Watching the pairs free skate last night was almost torture. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the new scoring system. What a rip off. The men's short program is tonight...I'm hoping they're better. Of course, American Idol is on tonight, too. May have to flip back and forth. LOL!

I'm really torn...Dad bought me the book Teacher Man by Frank McCourt when we were in IL in November. Frank McCourt is one of my favorite writers...his book,
Angela's Ashes was incredible. 'Tis, the follow-up, was okay (as Maureen would say, "'Tis not as good as the first"), but not as good. I can't get past page 5 in his new one. What's funny to me is that I consider him a favorite even though I only really enjoyed one of his books. I'm sure if he keeps writing, I'll keep buying, but I wish that he would find something to write about that's as gripping as Angela's Ashes.

One final note...HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Chinese couple (the one where the girl fell) made me cry. She was such a trouper and got right back out there and nailed the rest of the program for the silver medal. I thought it was beautiful and high drama. Maybe it doesn't seem as special because the US doesn't have anyone in medal contention.

Barbara said...

They were just about the only couple worth watching. It just seems so technical now.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, it seems like the old way was so unfair though. The judges would score a favorite that touched the ice or fell the same as someone who skated cleanly. I think that they needed to have more guidelines. It may take the athletes some time to adjust their programs though.

Mom says that Matt Savoie skates today. I can't wait to see that. Go Matt!! The local news says that the new guidelines are helping him and his style of skating.

Barbara said...

I agree that there were changes that needed to be made. I just wish they hadn't gone so far to the technical side. They give little, if any, points for artistry and performance. It's all for whether or not you completed specified elements. I think that's a shame. We'll also be rooting for Matt tonight! There was a huge article about him in our newspaper a couple of weeks ago. Too cool!