Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Off to the Dentist

Jacob got a day off of school today since we had to drive to Reston for the dentist. It was handy that we had to leave at the same time we would normally be heading to the bus stop...in fact, the bus had just pulled up as we were pulling out of the driveway. When I called Jacob in this morning, I don't know who answered the phone at the school but she seemed a little out of it.

Me: "My name is Barbara and my son, Jacob, is in Mrs. N's class. He will not be in school today, but will be returning tomorrow.

School: "Okay, you said Jacob right?"
Me: "Yes."
School: "And what class did you say?"
Me: "Mrs. N."
School: "We don't have a Mrs. N here."
Me: "Yes you do. My son's in her class."
School: "Are you sure?"
Me: "Try S." (his teacher got married last year)
School: "Oh! I forgot she got married"

So anyway, we get in the car and drive. I often forget how beautiful a state I live in. My favorite part is when you get your first glimpse of the mountain (although I hate driving up the mountain!) and cross over the Shenandoah River. Unfortunately, once you hit Leesburg, it's just like everywhere else.

Jacob was full of questions about pirates...not exactly sure why but it dominated the first 20 minutes of conversation in the car.

We get to the dentist and the kids are fighting over who gets to go back first (a horrible problem to have, right?) I told them that the dentist gets to choose who goes back first...it's not up to them. They call Jacob first and then Daniel and Hannah at the same time. Daniel's so worried about the "magic toothbrush" that he doesn't even realize that he's done. Hannah was so proud of her shiny teeth, she kept opening her mouth to show me.

Then, we see Dr. Davis. He tells me that Jacob's 6 year molars should be coming in soon but everything else looks good. Tells Jacob to expect some pressure in the back of his mouth soon. Jacob tells him that he's already feeling some. Daniel hops up...looking good to but has a little mark on his front tooth. If I want it fixed, he'll do it but it's not really necessary. I say that yes, I want it fixed. He said that Jacob and Daniel have unusual (but not abnormal) mouths where they are very gummy. He said that it's purely cosmetic but if they want to have the excess gum removed, they can when they're adults (been there...done that...it sucks). Hannah hops up (the dentist is shocked that she's 2 because she sits so nicely and follows directions)...she has a different mouth than the boys...her teeth will fall out sooner than the boys teeth will (mostly because she's a girl). Not that there's anything wrong with that. No problems with her gums. Although he did say that her lower jaw is set a little further back than it should be. Not a problem now, but will probably have to be fixed later. Otherwise, everything looks good.

So, then we head to Chick-Fil-A for lunch. Since it's early, we beat the lunch crowd and the kids get to enjoy the playland for almost 1/2 hour! We called Mike at work to see if he was free for a few minutes with no luck so we headed home.

I love the fact that Daniel has a birthday party coming up...it's a great bargaining tool. "You touch your sister again and I'm cancelling your party!" I know it's an empty threat, but it cracks me up (and gets him to stop...at least for the moment).

So, now we're home...waiting for Mike to give word about his car. I think I'll make some coffee and think about doing some laundry.

2 comments:

Susan said...

So, did you find out how they fix that jaw thing?

Barbara said...

They can't fix it until she's older...but we talked about it this afternoon!