Sunday, February 26, 2006

Back After A Few Days Off

Well, not really "off." Just been really busy. Mike's been gone since Tuesday. He came home Friday night but had to go in on Saturday (and didn't get in until midnight) and will be going to work again after dropping Jacob off at Sunday School. This will make day 7 in a row for him to work (12+ hour days) and tomorrow is Monday. I don't know how he does it.

Since Mike's been gone, it's been me! I wrote Daniel's dentist appt down wrong and thought it was next month, but it was Thursday (that's twice I've done that). Thursday morning was going to be crazy anyway, but I didn't need the unplugged alarm clock thrown in there. I woke up at 8:10. Got the boys up and fed. Ran screaming to the bathroom and took the world's shortest shower. Woke up Hannah (I felt really badly about that...she was so cute sleeping there) and threw everyone in the car. Dropped Jacob off at school and immediately headed towards Reston for Daniel's appointment. Amazingly, we were almost 1/2 hour early! How'd that happen? We drove around a little bit and I decided to just go in. 15 minutes later, we were out and ready to go home (Daniel didn't even need novicaine, the cavity was so small). We decided to stop at Starbucks for coffee and hot chocolates (and, it turns out, a cupcake for the kids - nice after a dentist appt). I knew the ride home would be bad, when, as I tried to get on the Greenway, I almost hit a car while merging. Thank goodness I actually turned my head to see him. Daniel and Hannah were being so mean to each other that I had to pull over in Purcellville and seperate them. Then it was just screaming the rest of the way home "I want to sit next to Hannah!"

Back at home, Hannah decided that she wasn't going to take a nap. By 5 o'clock, I wanted to run, screaming, from the house.

I wasn't prepared when my neighbor came knocking at my door yesterday morning at 9:30 am. She just got back from a trip to Isreal (Israel?) and she had a little gift for us. She bought us a beautiful little menorah from Jerusalem. I'm going to have to find a nice spot to display it. Right now, it's sitting on the table in my front entryway. How nice of her to think of us! I almost had a heart attack when Hannah let the dog out while she was over. Oriana walked right past her and went to sleep on the couch. Didn't even care that anyone was over. Maybe she's mellowing in her old age.

I took the kids up to the school for the PTO Family Fun Festival and Spaghetti Dinner. It was really very sad. We were there for about an hour and were pretty much the only ones there. A little boy from Jacob's class and his dad were there...I met this kid and his dad at his birthday party last month. Nice enough family (I think it's just the dad and kid) but they wouldn't stop following us. It was wierd.

The Fun Festival was two clowns: one doing balloon animals and one doing face painting (really really bad face painting - Jacob asked for a bat and she said that she didn't know how to make a bat). They looked really angry, too. The whole thing was pretty lame.

I'm pretty sad this morning. I lost a diamond chip out of the ring my mom gave me years ago. I think I've worn this ring every day for the last 15 years. I hardly even notice it anymore so I don't know when/how I lost the diamond. I wonder how much it's going to cost to replace. I guess I should put the ring up until I can get it looked at.

Okay. I think I'm all caught up now. I feel better now that I've blogged.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Yikes, you've had a busy couple of days. I don't think it will be that much to get that ring fixed, Barb. Do get it in, though. I know how much you like it.

Barbara said...

It looks so sad without one of the diamonds in it. :(

Anonymous said...

That's too bad about the festival. Ours is always so packed you can barely walk. So sad about your ring. I hope you get it fixed as soon as possible. It's the topaz one, right?