Thursday, June 24, 2010

Feels Like Friday

We spent last weekend in Peoria and came back on Monday.  Since we usually leave on Sunday, I feel like I'm a day behind and have all week.  We had a very nice trip, though.  We got to visit Mom in Sterling (I haven't been there in two years) and went to the Olde English Faire (could have done without that...too hot!).  I also got to hang out with some old high school friends on Saturday night.  It was a ton of fun.  One of our friends couldn't be there since he was just transferred to Edwards AFB so we made a little cutout of him and took him along.  Oh boy.  Flat Kris got into so much trouble.  The police officers we asked to pose with him were awesome.  They thought we were either drunk or insane but they played along.  We probably had a little too much fun with it but that's okay.

Dad and I went through a bunch of my grandma's old scrapbooks and then Dad pulled out her old journal.  I didn't even know this thing existed.  Her thoughts from January 1941 through 1970.  It's mostly typed but there are a few handwritten entries.  It is, quite possibly, the coolest thing I've ever read.  I'm only up to 1946 but I'm trying to read slowly and piece together who is who (aunts, cousins, uncles, great grandparents).  I've heard of these people a billion times but to hear them spoken of so casually is very cool.    It's also funny to read about just how much help my grandmother had (a lot!).  This journal is truly gold.

2 comments:

debbie said...

I'd love to read that!

Barbara said...

I'm at the point where it's less journal and more letters to family. Still very cool. I'm going to make copies.