Friday, June 05, 2009

Rant and A Little Bit of Haha

About three weeks ago, we got new neighbors. The people behind our neighbors moved out and this new family moved in. Seemed nice enough...three kids (7...Jacob2, 3 and 1)...Jacob2 is kind of bizarre and annoying (see previous post) but whatever. I didn't think a whole lot about them...until today.

Around 4:30, code enforcement pulls up to the house to investigate a complaint on our pool. Interesting. I asked who it was but they wouldn't tell me. I took them to the backyard to see the pool. I look up at the house with the new family and the dad is on his deck, just a little too interested in what's going on.

The code enforcement guys were very nice. They said that I needed a permit and told me how to get one (they're free). They also told me that because the pool is (get this) less than 4 feet high, we need a fence. If it were 4 feet high, it acts as its own fence. Ours is 4 inches shy. Crap. What's funny is that our pool in the past was in bigger violation than this one! So, we went over all of the ways that we can fence that bad boy in. Since the yard itself doesn't need to be fenced, we can drag a chain link fence (another reason you have to love no HOAs) from the deck to the side of the house. Sweet. Get the permit, enclose the pool ASAP and you're good to go. We all shake hands and I walk them to their truck.

When I come back to the backyard, Jacob2 has joined the pool bunch and his dad's standing in my backyard. Paul, the 16 year old next door who mows our yard and had been edging at the time, comes over to chat with me. I told him what the code guys said and he asked why they were there. Loud enough for new neighbor to hear, I say, because someone called in a complaint. (I could NOT have planned this more perfectly) Paul says, "Who would be dumb enough to do that?" Thank you Paul. After Paul left, I walked over to new neighbor and introduced myself, being as sickeningly sweet as I could be. I don't think they're too happy with the fact that the pool's still up.

Here's why I'm pretty sure it's them. They're the only new people around. Everyone else has been here for at least as long as we've been and no one's complained before. In fact, almost everyone swims in our pool at least once a season. I can't see why they'd call on us now.

Anyway, Stephen said that he'd be willing to help us put in a temporary fence in exchange for a bottle of wine and a lasagna. LOL! So, as soon we'll be having a fence/pool/lasagna party. Stephen suggested we use the bright orange fencing material that they use at construction sites. I still think a barbed wire coil is more fitting.

3 comments:

debbie said...

Well, you can use this fence to your advantage. Be sure to put a lock on it and that will keep out Jacob2 also.

Susy said...

I was just gonna say that you need to keep that freak out of your pool.

Barbara said...

Well, we were talking with them yesterday and they told us they were going to fence in the rest of their yard (there's a small section between our yard and theirs that's not fenced. They actually asked if they could put a gate between our two yards so all of the kids could easily come in and out of both. LOL!!! Anyway, after they get their fence up, we just have one side that would need to be enclosed so we're going to put up a real fence then.