Friday, January 09, 2009

Test Results

We got our jiu jitsu test results yesterday. Of the 5 of us that tested, only 3 got their belts. I was one of the 2 that didn't. I'm sad but it's okay. I got this e-mail from Dave, our school's main teacher yesterday:

Karl, Steve and myself take full responsibility for this. We pushed you guys to do in 6 months what it should take to do in a year. If given the opportunity to test whenever you were ready, I am sure you would have chosen a little later. Comments on your techniques are good and I have those at the school. Please do not be disappointed with the results. If you consider that you have never taken Jiu-Jitsu before and that 3 of the people testing had previous experience, you accomplished quite a bit. I am, We are, very proud of what you have done and looking forward to helping you retest.

I did get my comments sheet and it's kind of cool. My evaluator was Rener Gracie and it makes me smile to know that he actually watched my tape. His comments were good (a little harsh at times) but they were very critical. My favorite comment was "awkward falling motion" on one of the standups. Of course, that was a deduction. According to Rener, I was right on the border and they had to err on the side of no belt. A few of the comments:

She stood up in base every time she got up - very impressive

Barbara knew several of the techniques very well. She seemed to be comfortable with the step by step execution with all of them.

Barbara was right on the border, she knew most of the techniques very well but there were critical errors made.

Overall, she did good and I would like her to retest after a few more months of practice.

Right now, I'm teetering on the edge of going full on back into it to prove that I can and quitting. It's not that I only did it for the belt but it's pretty humbling to know that I busted my butt only to find out that I was that close. I don't know.

3 comments:

debbie said...

Oh, Barb, I think you should be proud of yourself. What are you taking Jiu-Jitsu for? If it's to learn something you didn't know before and to better yourself, you absolutely are a big winner, right? Do you enjoy it? Does it make you feel better? Honey, I know you must be disappointed but things that are worthwhile are rarely easy and you are rarely successful the first time around. I know you wouldn't feel better if they just gave you that belt. It means something. Go get it next time!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything Debbie said. You should be proud of your self. Don't quit. I know you can do it.

Susy said...

Yup, what Deb and Bobbi said. You worked hard. A belt is for everybody else, you know what you can do. Keep on truckin' lady.