Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Last Week of Vacation

This is the last week of vacation for the kids (I can't just say the boys anymore since Hannah starts too!) The only one of the three that is excited is Hannah. The boys desperately want me to homeschool. LOL! They don't realize that actual homeschooling is different than the couple of worksheets I've been having them do this summer.

I have to admit that I'm torn on sending them back to school. As crazy as things are now, they're going to get worse once school opens back up. Cub Scouts and MOPS start back up again...Hannah switches to Tuesday evening gymnastics (you'd think they'd have a Saturday class!), Jacob starts Wednesday evening Hebrew school and we continue football and TKD. You know what, though, I've always liked having a lot of things to do. Aside from a football game for Daniel on Saturdays, our Friday through Sunday is clear (okay, so there's Sunday School).

However, I do get to start Mike's gym on Monday (right honey?) and I'll have more time to really bang out the basement (I'm about 1/4 of the way through the playroom). And maybe, just maybe, I'll actually get this house clean. Here's a picture of the playroom with one coat on...



Anyway, Daniel's loving football. We'll see just how much he loves it once they switch to practice with pads on. They've been doing conditioning practices up until Friday. That still makes me laugh.

Hannah had TKD testing on Saturday. She's going for her high green belt. It was strange that the boys didn't test, but they can't go until October. Once they get their mid brown, they can't test again until February. If they get their high brown at that point, it'll be at least another six months (so next August at the earliest) before they can go for their recommended black belts. My guess is that Daniel will sit at high brown for a long time while Mike and Jacob get theirs fairly quickly. Who knows, though.

We had our block party on Saturday, too. It was fun but it kind of bothered me that there were so many people that aren't on our street that came. Instead of neighbors hanging out with neighbors, our neighbors hung out with the people they brought. We had also been invited to Stephen and Roxanne's for the UFC fight, so we left the block party early and headed over there.

It seems that we never leave their house before 1AM and Saturday was no exception. Mike had TKD friends there, I had Jiu Jitsu friends there and the kids had Quinn and Jett to play with. I love hanging out with them. Good wine, good food, great friends.

2 comments:

the Joneses said...

So now I've read your post and am real tired so I'm going to take a nap. How do you DO everything you get done?!

-- SJ

Barbara said...

LOL, Sara! The beauty of the kids at this age is that many of their activities are the drop-off variety. I don't have to stay for football or Hebrew school. That makes life a little easier.

Oh, and it helps that I seem to be able to get by on a few hours of sleep (coupled with a pot or so of coffee!)