Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Water World

It started raining at about midnight last night. It finally stopped around 9 this morning. When all was said and done, we had almost 9 inches.

Mike woke me up around 6AM to tell me that the basement had about 2 inches of water in it. At some point last night, the sump pump stopped working and water came pouring in.

We've had the plumber come in and replace the sump pump with one with a lifetime warranty. After 20 minutes, the water was out of the tiled places, although the carpet was still pretty soaked. The water removal guys were scheduled to come out and get the rest of the water out. I was feeling okay about the whole thing...it could have been so much worse but the things that are damaged are things that are of little value anyway.

Then, the insurance company called.

Because we don't have the sump pump rider on our policy, nothing is covered. Now, if it was called a "sump pump rider," we would have had the insurance. However, it's called something like a "sewer drain backup rider" and we didn't have it. Now, I wait for the water removal guys to come and tell me the damage. This is making me sick.

To top it off, Hannah's having her ear tubes put in tomorrow and I'm worried about that too. Where the heck are the water guys???!!!???

5 comments:

debbie said...

Aw, Honey, I'm sorry. It'll be ok. At least it wasn't really the sewer. I'll be praying for Hannah. Give her a hug and kiss for me.

Barbara said...

We've come to find out that we're in good company. At least two of our neighbors also had flooded basements. We were all chatting about our damage tonight.

Barbara said...

Oh, and thanks for the prayers. Hannah's pretty nervous but I don't think she realizes she won't be awake for it.

Anonymous said...

We'll be praying for Hannah. We know that she'll be OK. Hugs and kisses.

For the sump pump, have you guys considered a battery back up along with the regular sump pump? We usually recommend a battery back up to the owners of the homes we build.

Barbara said...

I did consider a battery backup sump pump but with putting in a new one too, it would have been almost $3000. I've also had friends that have gotten them and they seem to be pretty quick to fail. One of our neighbors had two pumps going the other night (they were the battery backup kind when their normal one failed)and it still wasn't enough to keep their basement from flooding.