Thursday, July 03, 2008

10 Books to Read...

AOL posted their 10 Books to Read Before You Die. I've read some on the list (one I got almost all of the way through and was inadvertently told the ending so I stopped reading in disgust.) and others I have no interest in. Here's the list (I've bolded the ones I've read):

1. Gone with the Wind Margaret Mitchell
2. Lord of the Rings series JRR Tolkien
3. Harry Potter series JK Rowling
4. The Stand Stephen King
5. The DaVinci Code Dan Brown
6. To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee
7. Angels and Demons Dan Brown
8. Atlas Shrugged Ayn Rand (this is the one I almost made it through!)
9. Catcher in the Rye JD Salinger
10. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams

I don't think this is a good list. Partly because #'s 2 and 3 don't interest me even a little. I don't like fantasy fiction. Maybe The DaVinci Code (great book) should be on there but Angels and Demons (okay book)? I think The Color Purple should be on there but it's not. I also think Angela's Ashes and Memoirs of a Geisha should be there too. What about 1984 or Brave New World? This list did remind me that I need to read Gone with the Wind, though.

Do you agree with this list? What books do you think should have made the list but didn't?

6 comments:

Susy said...

I don't agree with this list at all. I think that if it makes you come up with your own list, it's a good thing, though.

debbie said...

I read Gone With the Wind the summer before eighth grade. I loved it.

To Kill a Mockingbird was awesome.

I'm shocked the Bible isn't on the list. It doesn't say it's a fiction list.

I've read several Harry Potter books and I don't think you have to worry about not reading them before you die.

I'm such a dumb dumb about these things. I've read tons of books and can't think of a single one, lol.

I'll have to think about this.

Anonymous said...

OK. So you liked "The DaVinci Code". So you should try "The Last Patriot" by Brad Thor. I got it yesterday (just out) because Glenn Beck was awed by it. I went 100 pages before I put it down and went to sleep. Thor did for the Muslims what Brown did for the Catholics. They ain't gonna like it. Holy.........

Dad

Barbara said...

I loved The DaVinci Code. I couldn't put it down. Of course, I took it for what it was...a work of fiction. I'll have to check out The Last Patriot. Never heard of it before.

Shanna Groves said...

How about Lonesome Dove or I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings? Angela's Ashes is my favorite, too. Have you read Frank McCourt's other books? If not, I'll have to loan them to you.

Barbara said...

Shanna! So glad you found my blog! I have read Frank McCourt's other books and didn't enjoy them as much as Angela's Ashes. A couple of his brothers have also written books but I have yet to read them.