Monday, June 02, 2008

Dreary Monday

I had a dream that I was out at a restaurant when the fire alarms went off. The next thing I know, Hannah's at the end of my bed, crying, because the weather radio's going off. I always think it's funny when real life enters dreams. Anyway, it's just a thunderstorm watch. It looks so dark and nasty outside. Finally, one during the day!

We've been outside almost all weekend. Lots of kids for Jacob, Daniel and Hannah to play with, lots of pool time, who could ask for more? Yesterday, Jacob had a baseball practice and Daniel was invited out with Brandon so Hannah was here alone. I told her that I'd go in the pool with her and got into my suit. Mike was telling me that I look better in my suit this year than last when he noticed something on my back. He thought it looked like a mole. I ran upstairs to look in the mirror, touched and yanked (without realizing what it was). I hear a loud *POP* and look at what's between my fingers. A tick. I run downstairs and show Mike. The thing was still moving and trying to burrow into the toilet paper it was nestled in. So freaking gross. I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't a deer tick, but I did tell Mike that he should expect me to have every symptom of lyme disease for the next week or so. He shook his head and said that he understood. LOL!

Sue recommended that I spray the yard down with Dawn to kill the ticks...I wanted to do that today but with the storms rolling in, I'll have to wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could get chickens. They are supposed to be good at ridding the yard of ticks (grin).

I hope you have something to watch today, Barb. I know how much fun it is to watch weather and I know what you mean about it being in the daytime. It's a ripoff to get "good" weather and not be able to see it.

Mary Rose's last day of school was today - an hour for her report card. I will never understand that.

We are getting the house in order and I have a list of things to teach Emma this summer. We are planning a menu and Emma is in charge of dessert. She needs to figure out what we are having and make a grocery list for it. Next week, I may add part of the dinner to her responsibilities. I really want her to be able to read a recipe and follow through with it on her own.

We will also make a couple of those denim rag quilts. I think that would be a good first project for Emma. I may even let Mary Rose help me with hers.

Barbara said...

I heard that about chickens...I think that might be pushing the animal thing a little far! LOL!

The weather's been quite interesting this morning. Lots of lightning and thunder. The weather radio's been going off a lot. Of course, it freaks Hannah out. Poor baby. Right now, we're under a High Wind Warning which I don't think I've ever seen before. I guess they're issued when sustained winds are expected to be 40mph or higher for an hour or more. Should be interesting.

Sounds like a lot of fun things going on at your house, Deb. The denim rag quilts are fun and easy. Can't wait to see them!

How are your bees? Jacob's been asking me about them.

Anonymous said...

I haven't visited them in a couple of weeks. They said they will need me to add more "supers" to the hive. The husband has big health problems and the wife is 4'9 and not able to lift heavy stuff well. I'm waiting for a phone call to go and do that for them. I'm not nearly as scared this time since I lived through it last time, lol.

I hope you have everything battened down, it sounds like quite a day at your house. It's just hot here. I'm thinking I may have to turn on the air. Are we next to get your weather? I'm hoping not. My peas are flowering and looking great. I don't need bad weather!

Barbara said...

Don't know where the weather's heading. The high wind warning was a bust. Winds never got above 15mph. I guess there's some pretty nasty damage around us from high wind, but we didn't get any. It's now all blue sky and 82 degrees. When I talked to Dad a little over an hour ago, it was 67 degrees. I guess more storms are coming tonight. Should be interesting since Jacob has a game.