Monday, May 05, 2008

We Had a Weekend?

Well, we had a good weekend but it was a little busy for my taste. Friday night, we went to the MOPS and POPS dinner. Poor Mike thought that he was going to be going to a father/daughter dance and was disappointed when it was a dinner date with me. LOL! It was fun to hang out with some of my MOPS friends and have a nice, catered dinner. We got home a little after 9 and everyone crashed soon after.

Saturday, we went over to the library for Asian Day. Our TKD school was putting on a presentation and everyone was asked to participate. It was cool because Jacob got to do form, one-steps and spar. He also got to break a board. I think he really liked that part, especially since he didn't know they wanted him to. Hannah got to do her form and some one-steps. Daniel got to spar and do his form. After the demonstration, we hung out at the library with some others and did some of the other activities. We all got our names translated into Chinese and got to sample some Asian snacks. Jacob's favorite activity was making a fan and he's been using this new skill all weekend.

After the library, we decided it would be fun to go see Iron Man. I decided to go under protest. We were in the biggest theater I've ever seen (they must use it for IMAX) and the kids were all snuggled into their seats. A few times, Hannah asked me if I was sure we were seeing Iron Man because he doesn't show up until at least halfway through. Of course, once he appeared (and every single time for the rest of the movie), she'd scream, "IRON MAN!!! IT'S IRON MAN!!!" LOL! I can't remember the last time I've seen the kids so into something for as long as they were. They were glued to the screen. At one point, Daniel was so into the movie that he actually stood up and was questioning, in earnest and panic, why something was happening. It was so cute and funny. I do have to say that, aside from enjoying the kids' enjoyment of the movie, it really wasn't that bad. I'd even go so far as to say that I'd be willing to see it again.

We lost Volcano on Friday. For those of you that don't remember, Volcano was Jacob's fire-bellied toad. He was cool with it, but immediately asked if he could get another. So, after the movie, we headed to the pet store and picked up two new toads. Look, they're cheap enough and we already had the crickets! ;) Anyway, we are now the proud owners of Frogish and Jetski. They are crazy active. Much more so than the other one was. (Hence the name Jetski) Hannah wanted a little pet so we picked up a betta fish for her. His name is Swimmy Swimmer. I wonder how long he'll last.

Sunday, we had Sunday School and Family Service. We always enjoy Family Service, even though it's a pain to get up and get there. After services, I decided to mow the lawn. Because of all of the rain, the lawn, in some places, was (literally) up above my mid-calf. That bastard took me two hours (should have taken 45 minutes) and two gas fill-ups. I'm sore and tired. I guess it was a good workout, though.

The kids were outside all afternoon and evening. They played with almost every obscure child on this street and on the next one over. Children I've never seen before were pouring out of their houses. One of the kids had a toy rifle and they all decided to play some sort of war. It looked like a lot of fun. They fought me tooth and nail when I called them in for the night after 8pm.

We also got our first grilling done of the season. Grilled chicken. Yum. Of course, it's not as good without the sauce (no sauce for me...friggin' diet) but it was still grilly goodness.

Holy cow...I need a weekend to recover from my weekend! I'll post pictures from the TKD demonstration later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fun active weekend and need a rest from your weekend. We too went to see Ironman. Thought it was good.

We talked to David twice over the weekend. He left early this morning. They'll have a stop in Germany and then on to Kuwait.

Give us a call when you get a chance.

Barbara said...

I thought that David left a few weeks ago. Huh.

Anonymous said...

David left for Fort Dix a couple of months ago. Came home last weekend for 4 days, went back to Fort Dix and now has gone to Kuwait for about 10 days and then on to Iraq.