Wednesday, April 09, 2008

A Blog for a Nice Day

It's really pretty outside today. It's a little chilly, but the sun is shining and there's not a cloud in the sky. I need to start thinking about getting out the lawn mower and giving the yard it's first cut of the season, but I'm putting it off as long as possible. I also don't want to mow while there's still a big puddle in the backyard from yesterday's rain. Once that dries up, maybe I'll think about mowing. Of course, we're supposed to get some big storms tomorrow (thunderstorms, wind, hail, tornadoes), so that'll put it off even longer.

The kids tested for their new belts (high blue for the boys and orange for Hannah...next step for the boys is brown! Then we go to every other testing cycle for them) on Saturday. The three boys had to break boards this time. Mike sailed through his but the boys had some problems. They did successfully break the 1/2 inch board, so that satisfied the requirement. We don't find out the results until next week, but they're all very anxious. I'm sure they did just fine. (Click photos to enlarge)

Mike sets up to break the board.

A photo of Hannah after she sparred.
Mike got to hold the board for Daniel while Daniel's teacher, Master Johnson (in the white shirt and sportcoat), watches on the sidelines.
Jacob sets up for board breaking.

Oriana is seriously pissing me off lately. Hannah and I went to the store for about 1/2 hour this morning and I forgot to put her in the bedroom. Usually it isn't a problem for that short amount of time. However, when we got home, I found cereal bowls scattered around the kitchen and milky cereal all over the floor. I'm getting really tired of her getting into everything she's not supposed to. She's been refusing to eat her normal food lately, in favor of scavenging. She even ate a bunch of Hershey Kisses (including the foil wrappers) from one of the kids' Easter baskets the other day. I expected her to get really sick from it, but she didn't. We just can't leave her out alone at all anymore.

We signed both boys up for Cub Scout Day Camp for a week this summer. They are excited to be going. It's the only place where they can earn their BB Gun and Archery certifications. I don't know if they let Daniel's age do it, but I know they do Jacob's age. I know I loved Girl Scout camp, so this should be fun for them. Later in the summer, Mike and Jacob are going to an overnight Bear Scout camp for 3 days. That should be a lot of fun for them. Our Pack Leader is the head of the camp, so he's been giving me a lot of info about what they'll do. It's also good to know the leadership should something happen.

I set up Hannah's speech screening yesterday. Actually, they don't just test for speech anymore, so she gets the full-on special ed screening. I find it a little annoying, but if that's what it takes to get her in, then I guess that's what I have to do. She goes in to the district office for it on the 25th. I guess it takes about 1 1/2 hours to complete. We shall see what happens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They do the same thing in Virginia - if a child is being tested for one thing they are required to be tested for everything. It is a pain but it is also nice because, at least here in VA, they actually tell you where they are among their peers - you know like on a growth chart. Good luck to everyone - I hope you all get your belts in TKD. Barbara - when are you going to start TKD?

Barbara said...

Sounds like the same thing as here, Michelle. She's going to be tested for speech, social skills, fine/gross motor and cognitive development. What's funny is the lady that set it up for me was explaining what every test was for and I kept explaining that I already knew (I did pay attention in some of my education classes in college!)but she'd explain it anyway. LOL!

When am I going to start TKD? Hmmm...no idea! LOL!