Thursday, February 21, 2008

Roundup and Other Thoughts...*Updated* (at the bottom)

I just found out that one of my new favorite series...Life...has been picked up for a second season. They won't shoot any new episodes for this season, but just knowing that it hasn't been cancelled is awesome!

*********
I woke up this morning to the sound of sleet hitting the window. I turned on the TV and our local NBC was running their version of the Today Show instead of the national one...that's never good since they usually only do that when it's really bad outside. Tons of schools are scrolling across the bottom, but not ours. I get the boys up and Jacob's crying that he doesn't feel well. I can't tell if it's that he just doesn't want to go to school or if he's really sick. I send him to school, telling him that I'll be there until 10:30 and if he still feels sick, I'll take him home then. He reluctantly agrees and I drop him and Daniel off at school.

The roads were terrible. Not just the side streets, but the main streets as well. If we ever really needed a snow day, today should really have been one but that's okay (we probably have over an inch of graupel on the ground on top of a layer of ice). Sleet is the most bizarre thing...it's just pouring out of the sky, even now. And, it's so darn cold out there. I'm so ready for winter to be over. Bring on Spring!

Anyway, we head to kindergarten roundup and Hannah's excited because she knows most of the teachers/paras that were there. Mrs. L (the reading para that worked with Daniel last year) walks Hannah into the library while I head down to the cafeteria.

Mrs. R, the principal's secretary, greets me there and tells me that this should be old hat by now. I laugh and begin filling out some paperwork. Katie from down the street comes in and sits by me, as well as Lynne, who's my MOPS table leader. Early on, Mrs. P (the school's wonderful counselor) comes in and reads some poem that sends me into tears. Lynne makes kind of a big deal about it and gives me a hug. Apparently, I'm the only one crying because all eyes are on me, which makes me laugh. At the end, I walk up to get Hannah's birth certificate and Melissa comes over to tell me that she's glad she wasn't the only one that cried. Since most eyes were on me and I was busy being embarassed, I didn't even notice that she was crying as well. Her kids are the exact same age as mine...Nicole's in Jacob's class, Michael is in Daniel's class and Katie goes to the same preschool as Hannah, so we've become friends.

I go up to get Hannah when I'm stopped by the speech therapist (probably the only support person in the school I haven't met). She tells me that she thinks Hannah needs to be screened and if we do it now (through the district), she'll be able to start working with Hannah from the first day of school. If we wait, then it'll be between 8-12 weeks from the first day of school before they can give support. I ask her if she can voice mail me the information on how to get her screened (because she really does need speech therapy, in my opinion) I get Hannah and ask her how roundup was for her. She tells me that she's set up about 5 playdates with her best friends (she has about 15 best friends) and that I need to call their moms. LOL. She's such a social butterfly.

I go into the office to see if Jacob's with the nurse. I don't see him, but I do see Mrs. H, the nurse. I ask her if she's seen Jacob today...she says no. Mrs. P comes around the corner and tells me that she saw Jacob this morning and he could hardly pick his head up off of his desk. Mrs. H says that she'll go get him if I want her to and I tell her to go ahead. I sign him out and suddenly, there's Jacob. Mrs. H tells me that he was already walking up to the office as she was walking back. Good timing. So, I have a doctor's appointment for him at 1:30 because there's so much going around here and I'm not going to wait to see if it gets worse. He's hardly gotten up off of the couch and has told me that he's dizzy when he does. Hopefully, it's nothing too bad.

*****Update...Just got back from the doctor...Jacob has strep again. His pediatrician told me that he's the first positive case she's had all week. At least it's not the flu. So, we'll be picking up antibiotics after picking up Daniel and Jacob gets another day off of school. He's not happy about that since he has Jump Rope for Heart and Chat 'n' Chew (book club) tomorrow. Maybe he'll get lucky and it'll be a snow day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Jacob. Tell him we hope he feels better soon.

Barbara said...

Poor kid...he's just been hanging out on the couch all day. You can tell that he just feels miserable. Hopefully that antibiotic will kick in soon.

Susy said...

Strep sucks. I'd rather have the flu. At least once you get it, you're generally done with flu for the year (not always, just generally). Strep seems to be one of those things that once you get it, it comes back to visit over and over. I hope he feels better soon. Hannah is gonna love going to school in the fall. I can see her now with a flock of little girls around her. lol