Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I Was Beeped At...and other thoughts

I took Hannah to her usual Monday gymnastics class and as we were walking in, I hear a horn. It was one of those that makes you jump...not a little beep but a HONK!!!!!!! I whipped my head around and saw my friend, Bree, waving furiously from her huge Yukon (good to know that they don't have a wimpy horn...that would have been funny). After I realized she was waving at me, I put on a big smile and furiously waved back. It's been a long time since I've been beeped in public (get your mind out of the gutter...I know you all went there). It made my day.

Last night, I remembered that it was my MOPS table's turn to bring breakfast this morning. I had signed up to bring a warm dish and some fruit. I went through my potluck cookbook while the kids were in the tub and asked Mike for his input (I tend to overthink things like this). I decided that I would just wing some egg and hashbrown dish (which also ended up having mushrooms, bacon and cheese...and turned out very tasty) and some fruit salad that has the marshmallows and fluff (who knew it had vinegar and eggs in it as well?), but had to go to the store to get the ingredients. While at WalMart, I remembered that I had to get something for my secret sister and decided to make her an Easter basket. However, I couldn't bring myself to get her an Easter card just yet, and my table found that very funny.

Anyway, on my way home, I noticed that it was not only incredibly windy, but snowing as well. I really need winter to end. Now. I need to get out and into my garden. But I digress...

This morning, I pop the egg casserole into the oven (I put everything together last night) and showered. I got the boys up and went through our normal morning routine. We left a little later than normal because I wasn't able to closely watch the time since the oven was on (we really need another clock in the house). Daniel's mad at me because I asked him to put his shoes on and don't I know that he's busy reading a book? I seriously never thought I'd have that problem. LOL! Anyway, we pile into the car and head to school.

The roads were fine, except for around certain corners where the sun hadn't been able to melt the ice that had accumulated last night. Luckily, I've driven this so many times that I'm pretty aware of the usual spots that get icy. Most of the time, I have to make a loop around the school to get into the carpool line. I turn onto the street before so that I don't have to turn around. Anyway, the car in front of me was doing the same thing, so we both slowed down on the main road to turn onto the side street. The intersection was heavily iced over, but I (and the car in front of me) could clearly see it and slowed more than usual (almost to a stop) to make the right onto the side street. Halfway through my turn, I looked in my rearview and I was more than a little amazed. The car behind me didn't slow at all (nor did it appear to swerve) and should have rear-ended me. Seriously. I can't see how he didn't. Both lanes were completely full and he was moving right along, in his lane (there is no turn lane), at the same speed as the rest of traffic. He really should have hit me. I can't stop thinking about it. I shared it with my MOPS table this morning and Shanna leans over and says, "Barbara, you had an angel with you this morning. Most of the time, we never even notice...and you probably wouldn't have if you hadn't looked in your rear-view mirror. What a blessing to have witnessed." There is no other explaination for it. It's still giving me chills just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were ok.

Psalm 91:11

"For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone."

Psalm 91:14-16
"'Because he loves me,' says the LORD, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him with long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.'"