Friday, February 08, 2008

Friday Coffee Talk

The snow day we had on Wednesday has really thrown me off. I completely forgot that yesterday was Daniel's 100th day of school (although with the snow day, I don't think it technically was) so I forgot to send his 100 Skittles to school with him. Apparently it was okay because he said Josh had a lot of extras and shared with Daniel. That was nice.

Hannah has not stopped talking about the fact that she missed kindergarten roundup. I keep telling her that she didn't miss it, it was just postponed. She would then scream, "I'm not going to get to go to kindergarten!" We went through this about 5 times yesterday (many more on Wednesday) and was thrilled when I got a voice mail from Mr. L, the principal, saying that it was rescheduled for two weeks from yesterday. Hannah still didn't quite get the concept, telling me that she'd have "kindergarten ride-up" today. Apparently, she told Roxanne from TKD that it is on Sunday. I can't wait until she gets the concept of time.

Speaking of Hannah, she and Mike are testing for TKD tonight. Hannah's very first testing cycle. Normally, she'd test tomorrow with the boys but with Mike caucusing tomorrow, we thought it would be easier for her to test tonight. That, and Mike will be able to see her test. We're not sure how Daniel will do tomorrow since Master Johnson told Mike that Daniel still has some work to do before Saturday. I will just be so happy when the boys move to the every other (or more) testing cycle. This time, they're testing for low blue...in April, they'll test for high blue (assuming they get their belt promotion)...in June they'll test for low brown...then they can't test again until October at the earliest. I get the impression that once you hit low brown, it takes about 6 months to get to the mid brown belt and then another six months or so after that to get high brown. I think it can take almost a year after that to get your black belt, so this is no quick and easy thing. I hope the kids stick with it. Getting that black belt is quite an accomplishment.

I got a phone call last night from Mrs. P, the school psychologist. She was making a "much overdue call regarding Daniel and the follow-up to what we began in September." Considering that all of the "test" results came back in early November, I'd say that it was, indeed, a much overdue call (almost 4 months). I think she sensed that I was annoyed (I actually laughed a little) and basically she just wanted to let us know about the progress Daniel has made in the classroom. You think he's made progress? Seriously, it's called he's getting older! Of course there's going to be progress in his attention span and behavior. It'll be interesting to see if this meeting actually happens since we've scheduled this thing twice before. I'll keep you posted.

Now, I have to figure out how to make a papier mache rat for Daniel's den centerpiece for the Blue and Gold Banquet. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hannah will eventually get the concept of time. It's a hard thing to get.

We wish her and Mike the best with their testing tonight and also to the boys with their testing tomorrow.

When is Blue and Gold? I'm sure you'll get the paper mache project there. I got two huge bird cages there (during my time as a Den Mother) with no problems. Just be careful. Also, have a great time. I love Blue and Gold Banquets.

And, of course, Daniel is growing up and doing better. They just have to be patient with him. I thought that's what they were there for.

Have a great weekend. We're trying to go to Indy, were supposed to go this afternoon but it looked like the weather was going to be bad so we postponed our trip until tomorrow, early a.m. Hope we make it.