Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I'm Tired

But I think it's a good tired, and I think that it may be because I'm thinking of what I have to do this week.

After I dropped the boys off at school this morning, Hannah and I went inside to go to the room mother meeting. I found the other room mother for Jacob's class, Betsey, and we started talking. It turns out that her son has been really wanting a playdate with Jacob. We think that we're going to do something on Friday, but we wanted to see what the boys wanted to do first.

Unfortunately, we're still known as the "new family." I wonder how long that will last. It is kind of funny, though...introducing myself to people and hearing them say, "oh! You moved in the middle of the year last year, right?" I laughed when I heard them say it to Betsey, too, since she moved here just a couple of weeks before us. I do have to say that it was really nice to be walking out of the school, laughing and talking with other adults. I came out of that meeting feeling pretty good about being here. Maybe it's not so bad after all. Ask me again in another month.

I guess being a room mother also entails being available at Meet-the-teacher Night on Thursday, because we're the "face of Morse, besides the teachers." Whatever that means. Betsey and I decided to break it up a bit, but I'm still going to have to be there later than I had anticipated. Ugh. You should see the packet of stuff I got today. Class sheets, sign-ups, approved snack lists, party info...the list goes on and on. And that's just for co-room mother. The head room mothers got a huge folder full of stuff. If you ask me, it's more work than it's worth, but who am I to say anything?

We came home, I cleaned and set up the crock pot for dinner. I'm actually quite shocked that the house is still pretty clean after 4 days. The laundry's not piled up, the beds are actually made and there's a vase of pretty, pretty sunflowers on the kitchen table. It really is easier to maintain a clean house than it is to get a dirty one clean. I keep telling myself that, anyway. At some point, I'm going to have to tackle the laundry room closet and pantry cabinets. Someday.

We have Tae Kwon Do tonight and the boys should "officially" get their orange belts. Grandmaster Lee gave them to the boys on Saturday, but I didn't get pictures, so I'm hoping that Master Dave will give them again so that I can get some. LOL!

Apparently, I've been yelling at Mike in my sleep. I had no idea. Mike asked me yesterday if he had been snoring and I said that I didn't think so, why? He said that I yelled something about something being "ridiculous" so loudly that he woke up and apologized. I wonder what I was dreaming about.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The room mother thing was getting crazy when I was room mother for Emma's class. It used to be that you just set up the parties and made sure that the parents who signed up showed up with what they promised. Now, you have to staff the carnival and come up with a room themed basket for the raffle too. Good grief. Oh, and you coordinate the gifts for the teachers at Christmas and the end of the year. I'm sure they've added stuff in the several years we've been at the middle school.

Barbara said...

We have to coordinate the three big parties, meet-the-teacher night, oversee field trips and classroom helpers, help make holiday cookie bags for teachers and staff, throw a party for the teacher's birthday, arrange for a class holiday gift, collaborate with the yearbook representatvie and attend all PTO meetings as the classroom representative. Oh, and we are the classroom contacts for the parents. Phew...if I'd only known. LOL!

Barbara said...

Oh and I forgot that we have to coordinate the monthly student birthday/half birthday celebrations and arrange for an end-of-the-year gift for the teacher.

Anonymous said...

Oh - sounds like a piece of cake!!! HAHAHAHA

Barbara said...

Sorry Michelle. Cake is not on the approved snack list!

Anonymous said...

Rediculous.

Anonymous said...

well that is just WRONG - WRONG I tell you. That would be grounds for me to quit

Susan said...

You know, that's called a party planner. They get paid a lot of money. I think it's stupid to have that much crap at the grade school level. Sounds expensive.

Barbara said...

We're given an allotment for each party and for gifts. What's funny is that I was having a hard time understanding why they were strugging to get people to be room mothers. Now I get it.