Thursday, August 02, 2007

A Few Other Thoughts For A Thursday

I finally got around to getting rid of the 5-6' tall weeds that have been dead for a few weeks now. I just didn't know how I was going to do it (not having the motivation also didn't help). They came out a lot easier than I had anticipated. The freaky part was that there were about 20 grasshoppers living in the weeds. Nice. They were probably about 3 inches long and scared the heck out of me. They were more than confused as to why I was taking their home. There were also a couple of wolf spiders that were mad at me for disturbing the ground. I swear that one of them tried to stare me down. If it could have, I'm sure it's hands would have been on it's hips, yelling at me. They waited patiently for me to finish and then disappeared into the ground. LOL!

After the weeds, I decided to do something I've been wanting to do since we moved in. I got rid of two of the mini pine trees in the back yard. I hate those things. Luckily, they have really shallow root balls and came out with minimal effort. My neighbor, Kim, was in her backyard at the time and I asked her if she'd like the trees. She said, "heck no!" So, off they went into the brown landscaping bag. And I didn't even feel guilty about it. I have two more of those pine trees to remove and 4 small shrubs and I'll be happy. But I'm not doing that until fall.

Deb...you were right about the compost pile. I've been putting the clippings and dead headings in a pile and turning them a few times a week. Every day, it seems like there's more and more dirt and less actual garden waste in there. Too cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb, throw your eggshells, coffee grounds, etc. in there too. It's amazing.

Barbara said...

I've been putting the coffee grounds and stuff in for about a week now. It's harder to remember to put those in because I'm not already outside. LOL!