Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Yay Me!!!!

Today has been a good day! We got the dog an appointment for her shots and boarding for the weekend and we got the hotel booked in Omaha. I also worked on getting my van plated in Kansas. The whole plate thing is a long drawn out story that starts with the loss of my title. Ugh. I'm sent away from the inspection station empty handed. No title, no inspection, no plates. This is according to the lovely lady that works the front desk. I talk to an inspector and I'm told that since I'm so close to expiring on my Virginia plates (the end of the month) they don't want me to have to drive illegally so go to the DMV and they'll help me work something out. Okay. Before that, I give the Virginia DMV a call (to get a duplicate) only to find out there's a lein on the van. Well, the bank never released it when we paid it off. Nice. A call to Chrysler and they'll send me a letter that'll come next week. I call Virginia back to find out if maybe they can fax something over only to find out that the bank actually sent the title to Iowa and they can't even help me anymore. I call Iowa and they tell me it's no problem. Fill out some form and mail it in and I should have a duplicate within a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I head over to the DMV to see what I should do while I wait.

We get there and I'm terrified that I'm going to have a huge wait because the place is packed and they had just called number 148 (I had number 290). I didn't know that they had 3 seperate groups of people and numbers going so we got in and out a lot quicker than I had anticipated. Anyway, they call my number and I explain to the gentleman that the inspector said that we could work something out. The guy looks at me and says, "he did, did he?" and tells me to wait a minute. He comes back and tells me that as long as I have proof of insurance, they'll register the car. No problem. I've got the card right here. Okay. Go sit and wait for your number to be called again.

After about 10 more minutes, they call me up. The lady is sitting there with an actual Kansas plate in front of me and has me fill out a couple of forms and asks for all of my stuff. She tells me that they're going to go ahead and give me a plate (I was expecting a temp tag) but as soon as I get my title, I need to head over to the inspection station and get all of that done. No problem. 5 minutes later, we're out the door and my van has a Kansas plate on it.

I'm just shocked that they actually let common sense rule. Clearly, I had all of this paperwork saying that we own the van and was just lacking one little thing. Wouldn't have happened in Virginia. I can't tell you how much ID I had and they wouldn't give me a license because I didn't have an actual birth certificate. I really should be all inspected and good to go by the end of the month but it's nice to know that if it doesn't come before then, I'm good to go. Now, we need to get Mike's done (his should actually be easier than mine). The really funny thing is that this is the first time in about 3 years that all of my stuff matches. I have Kansas insurance with a Kansas driver's license with Kansas plates. LOL!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it all worked out, Barb. Have a great vacation! I love vacation.