Sunday, June 03, 2007

Weekend Update

I haven't posted in a couple of days because the kids have me held hostage by the pool. I woke up at 8:00 Friday morning to the faces of two little boys asking if they could go in the pool. Outside temperature at the time? 63 degrees. Friday night, I had to tell them that we wouldn't even consider going in the pool on Saturday until after 10:00am. They were really good about it but once the clock hit 10, they were all about getting those suits on and heading out. Darn schools teaching the kids to tell time.

I'm not getting much done in the house with the kids outside (I'm not at all comfortable leaving them alone in this pool) but it's worth it when it comes to bedtime. All three are so worn out that they go right to sleep. It's usually not an issue for Hannah, she's all about sleep when she's in bed but the boys typically goof around for an hour or so...prompting a lot of yelling from Mike and me. The past couple of nights, I've heard them talking for a few minutes and then it's quiet. I told Mike that I'd still like to get a trampoline so that they can go back and forth between the pool and trampoline and really wear themselves out. Mike thought about it and said that we should wait a little while. Oh man. You know what would be really cool is a huge obstacle course in the backyard so they can run, jump, and climb out their massive amounts of energy. I guess I'll have to settle for the pool for a while.

I had made the mistake, earlier in the spring, of buying Coppertone sunscreen for the kids. I forgot that it gave Hannah "bonks" (bumps) on her arms and legs. I think that she's allergic to something in it. I wasn't expecting Jacob to get "bonks" as well. Anyway, I replaced it with Bullfrog spray sunscreen. No more "bonks" and it works really really well.

I finally finished House of Sand and Fog which is probably the most boring book I've ever read. Okay, so Teacher Man by Frank McCourt is probably the most boring book I've ever read but this one comes a close second. It took me three months to get through this insane story. Sue had told me that I should just stop reading it altogether. I said that after putting this much time into it, I had to finish it. And now, I'm done. I have a book written by Dan Brown that I'm not sure I want to start. I just need some good fluff, I think. Something quick and good that doesn't pretend to be more than it is. I'm not sure my Dan Brown book will fit the bill.

3 comments:

Susan said...

LOVE Bullfrog. It works very well (even on deployed soldiers!) I have a friend that had to take her son to the ER with both bones in his lower leg broken, and a possible foot separation (foot no longer attached to the leg) because of jumping on a trampoline. He's in bad shape from it. You couldn't pay me to let my kids play on one. Glad the pool is doing it for you, though.

Anonymous said...

No trampoline here either. Scares me to death.

Barbara said...

Yeah, trampolines actually scare me too. They look like so much fun but in the back of my head I keep hearing the voice telling me to step away from the trampoline. LOL!