Monday, June 11, 2007

Weekend Gardening

It is so sad and dreary outside today. It is trying to rain but it just can't get it together to do it. Humidity is at 88% so it's not fun to be outside. I'm hoping we get some thunderstorms (there's a chance) today but I'm not counting on it. We had some storms roll through the other night (around 2am) with very little rain. The lightning was amazing. It was so constant that it looked like someone playing with a flashlight.

Friday and Saturday, I spent a lot of time weeding and tending to my gardens. My back rectangle looks awesome and the day after I weeded in there, it seems like the plants doubled in size. So cool.

I almost lost one of my tomato plants. I usually water them about twice a week unless they look like they need more. Thursday, they really looked like they needed water, so I watered away. I discovered the hard way that I forgot to pull the drain plug out of the bottom of the container when I planted them and Friday, I woke to very wilty tomatoes. I really wanted to cry. I pulled the drain plug out and it emptied for about an hour. Saturday, it still hadn't perked up but the main stems were still nice and green. I figured I couldn't hurt anything so I grabbed some shears and began cutting the heck out of it. I only left the stems that looked like they were getting blossoms or had the start of tomatoes. Sunday, I checked it and not only had the whole thing completely perked back up but there were tons of blossoms on it. Apparently, it liked being cut back.

Jacob's beans and my green peppers are also doing really well. I have one pepper that's about half done and several others that are coming out. Jacob's got a bunch of beans on his plants that are just going and going. I thought we'd lost one of his plants, too, because we had a big windstorm last week and it bent the main stalk to the point it cracked down by the dirt. Jacob was really upset about it. I told him that I would try to save it but couldn't guarantee anything. I packed more dirt up and around the area that cracked and secured the plant really well to the trellis. I figured if the plant was going to die, we'd know in a few days. Well, not only did it not die but it's putting out more and more blossoms and is doing better than it was before. I just wish I knew what kind of beans they are! LOL!

Here's my back garden. It doesn't look like much now but some of the stuff has yet to bloom.
Yellow roses I planted because I couldn't plant a redbud
Jacob's pink roses.
One of my tomato plants that's going nuts.

Guillermo got himself a baby bunny last week, as well as a robin. We found the bird carcass but I have no idea what happened to the bunny. The only reason I even know he got one is because I saw him running across the yard with it. So sad. I'm just shocked that at his age and with no front claws he's able to hunt so skillfully. I did have to laugh yesterday when I saw him running across the backyard while three sparrows were dive-bombing him. Apparently, they've had enough of Guillermo. LOL!

The "lion" sleeps!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whadda ya expect from a Bradley Quad Cat. Wonder if he could handle a quad squirrel.

(^_^)

Barbara said...

I don't know. Those squirrels are pretty fast. I wouldn't put it past him, though.