Saturday, June 30, 2007

Another Dreary Day

It has been raining here since Wednesday. It's been cold (by late June standards) since yesterday. We're talking upper 60's as highs. Okay, so we got to 71 yesterday, but right now, we're sitting at 63 degrees and it's a little after noon. Since Wednesday, we've gotten 5.5 inches of rain and it's still coming down. I have to admit that I've been having a lot of fun on the weather blog and have even had my name said on the 10 o'clock weather (again!)...which just makes me want to post more over there. It's interesting to see just how different the rain totals can be just down the street from me. Luckily, we're not getting the 10-12 inches that some are getting just south of us. Those people are literally floating away and are being rescued from their homes. I placed my order for mid 80's and sunshine and was told by our weatherman that my request was on backorder. LOL! I hope we dry out soon.

Jacob and I have decided to get our yard certified as a Monarch Waystation. We won't be able to do it this year but are confident that we'll be able to get it next year. There's a lot of planning and work that we need to do but I have no doubt that we'll get it done. Once we get certified, we'll be able to put a sign up in our yard showing our designation. We'll also be listed in the registry and will get a certificate. After we're up and running, we'll start raising monarchs and that's when our real work will begin. But, we're really excited and looking forward to it. Get more info on the program by clicking Monarch Watch. Once you're there, click on the Monarch Waystation Program to learn more. You can live anywhere in the country and participate...not just Kansas. This site also has a lot of great information and you can even get your monarchs from them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooooo! Monarch's! Guillermo will just LOVE to eat those suckers.

I bought three more "tidal wave" petunias. The bunnies just keep on chomping the same regular wave petunias and they just aren't getting a chance to grow. I think that next year I'm planting "Tidal waves" only.

Barbara said...

Too bad for Guillermo...Monarchs aren't tasty for animals to eat (because of the milkweed they eat).