Thursday, March 22, 2007

Random Post

The people who used to live here receive an insane amount of catalogs. Most of them are dumb and they go right into the trash. But, every now and then, a good one comes and I take the time to look through it. This was the case yesterday.

It was some sort of organic gardening catalog. It had a lot of cool things in it...even though most of it was stuff I would never have (not saying I wouldn't love to have it)...containers to grow tomatoes upside down, raised beds (would love to have these) and that sort of thing. But, they had a 4-5 page spread on composting. I had a friend or two in VA that had these and I always wanted one. I think the boys would love to watch stuff turn into soil. Does anyone out there compost? If so, how do you start?

Poor Hannah has a mild cold. At first, I thought that it might be her asthma acting up but after talking to her, she has a tickle in her throat and her nose is running. She was hacking away around midnight last night and I went in to check on her. I hadn't been there for too long when she began throwing up. Everywhere. After settling her down, I ran the bath. At midnight. I have to say that I think this is the first time I've ever had to give a child a bath like this in the middle of the night, but I just couldn't let her go back to sleep with it in her hair. I changed her bedding and put her back to bed. She must have just been exhausted because she didn't get out of bed this morning until after 10. She's in good spirits, so I'm hoping that this blows over soon.

I've enrolled the kids in various activities through the park district. The boys wanted to take a break from baseball and will be starting Tae Kwon Do at the beginning of April. Two days a week. The nice thing is that they are in the same class, so I don't have to ferry them to several different classes a week. That's nice. I hope that they learn something from it. Daniel's excited to learn "ninja." LOL! Mike thinks they will get bored and will hate it...I think they'll like it. We'll see.

Hannah starts gymnastics and ice skating (yes, I said ice skating) at the end of the month. Both are once a week. She's really excited about ice skating and told the boys that she'd teach them too. We'll see how she feels after the first few classes. Ordinarily, I only let them do one activity per season, but since the boys were doing theirs twice a week, I figured it would be okay for Hannah to do two.

Southern Illinois plays KU (Kansas) tonight in their Sweet 16 game. I really want SIU to kick KU's ass, mostly because I'm tired of hearing our NBC affiliate sports guy talk about how KU is going to be really up against a wall with UCLA (neither has won their game yet). And, this guy is an SIU alum!!! He keeps going on about how SIU is a mid-major and don't have a chance against Kansas (umm...hello...remember Bradley in the FIRST round last year?!? We knocked KU off easily!) I'm actually looking forward to watching the game since they are televising it locally. 6:10, baby. I really hope Southern kicks some Jayhawk ass!!!! GO SALUKIES!!!!!! (that's for you, honey!!!)

After going back and forth for the past week, ABC decided to run a new episode of Grey's tonight. My Favorite Mistake is on at 8pm Central. I'm curious to see what happens in the aftermath of George/Izzy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that they will like it too. I can just see Hannah twirling around on skates and all sorts of things in gymnastics and Daniel and Jacob kicking the crap out of each other (not really). No they should enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Barb, I've had a compost pile for a long time. Actually, it is a cage that we've piled lots of stuff we don't want to deal with. We haven't turned it or messed with it at all. Jeff puts all our grass clippings in it and I put weeds from the garden. Anyway, I decided 2 weeks ago, it had to be moved. We took the cage off and the top foot was frozen solid. After chipping at it for the weekend, we ended up moving it more horizonally than vertically KYKWIM. It was in a 4 x 4 container and it's now spread over a 10 x 2 area. Most of it is actually usuable compost, I think. There is a newer, still composting part and an older, usable part to the "pile". I am currently saving coffee grounds, veggie scraps and egg shells for our pile.

IMO, it helps to have a pile you can get to. You need to be able to turn it easily and to use it. My neighbor bought a new plastic compost thing that he's going to use this year.

Anonymous said...

Condolences are sent to you - sorry SIU lost last night - I hope you at least enjoyed Grey's and that helped some!!!

Barbara said...

Mom...I can see it too! I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.

Deb...The thing your neighbor has is what I'm considering. I guess I'll do some research on it. I'm sure Jacob would really enjoy helping with that.

Michelle...Yeah, it's sad that SIU lost. At least they only lost by a few points (although that may actually make it worse). Mike'll tell you that I normally don't root for any team other than Bradley but I was having a hard time with people bashing another team in the Missouri Valley Conference. :( And Grey's...yes, I really enjoyed last night's episode. I hear that Sara Ramirez hasn't signed for next season so I'm hoping that means she finds out about the affair and divorces George. And the Mer/Der of it all...McDreamy in a suit...OMG!!! On a scale of 1-10...LOVED IT!!! I love my Grey's! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I have it safely on DVD!

(^_^)

Anonymous said...

Grey's was good - maybe Callie will find out and move to LA with Addison.

I loved it when Addison called MArk a manwhore!!!! I mean come on - 8 days with no sex - try being a parent!!!

Barbara said...

I loved it when Addison said, "I don't have any weaknesses. I'm that good." And Mark said, "I have a weakness for redheads." LOL!