Thursday, March 29, 2007

Gossip Brings Out The Neighborhood

The kids and I went out into the yard this afternoon for the 2pm grass check and to play. As I begin to put out the sprinkler, I notice a car has pulled into my neighbor's driveway. I have it italicized because no one has lived in the house since we've been here. The house is completely empty. A few weeks ago, a big dumpster was loaded into the driveway and someone filled it with junk from inside but then it was gone. So, after the brief flurry of activity, the house sits empty again.

Today, Amy-Across-The-Street (I've since learned there's a third Amy on the street, although I'm not sure which house she's in...this brings my "Amy" total to 5) was also outside with her three girls and also sees the car pull in. We both look at each other and shrug. The stranger gets out, opens her trunk and pulls out a For Sale sign. This act brings Amy-A-T-S running, three girls in tow.

I'll admit that I was incredibly curious what was going on, especially after they began talking and Amy-A-T-S followed, what I now assume to be a realtor, inside the house. She comes out a few minutes later and the oldest girl, Sydney (AKA The Tattler, so called because she always informs me of Daniel's behavior in class) comes over to tell me that the house is clean. Ummm...okay. Thank goodness Amy-A-T-S saw my curiosity and came over to tell me what had happened.

Apparently, the house has been sitting vacant for about a year. The previous owners were very private people as they would pull into the garage and immediately close the door and never talked to anyone. A few times, the police were called to the house, leading to domestic violence speculation. No one knows for sure what was going on but one day, the house was empty. Everyone said that the house had been completely trashed before they left but it could never be confirmed and Amy-A-T-S was wanting to know if this was true, which is why she wanted to go in.

So, the house is now in foreclosure. The agent wouldn't give any specifics and there were no fliers left (although there is a box for fliers). Jackie (neighbor on the other side of the empty house) has decided that she has to know just how much that house is going for. She calls the number listed on the sign and acts like a person interested in the house. They give her all of the information she was looking for, gives us the bare minimum and runs inside her house (apparently, she and her husband are considering buying it for a flip). At this point, I realize it's time to get Jacob from school and head out.

When I come back, everyone is outside talking. Of course everyone's talking about "the house" and who they think will buy it. Will it be a neighbor or will someone we don't know come in and buy it? LOL! What's nice is I really got to know several of the neighbors that I hadn't met before. Hopefully now that the weather's getting warmer, I'll be able to get to know even more!

What's scary is everyone knows everyone's business. Hmmm...

No comments: