Thursday, February 22, 2007

Some Days Are Just Better Than Others

I tried. Really I did. I was being all good about Lent beginning. I even made Tuna Casserole for dinner. I got the good tuna that's packed in olive oil (way tasty...Mike said it was "meatier") and was trying to make it really tasty (not that tuna casserole's not tasty, but it's not the meat fest I had been planning LOL!). So, I put it all together, put it in the oven and then made a horrible realization. I used cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom soup. Ugh. Here I was, trying to do good and go meatless and I ended up ruining the whole thing with one can of soup. Mike called to tell me he was on his way home and I told him the story. He didn't get it. He says, "cream of chicken soup in the tuna casserole? Umm okay." I told him that it's what I usually use in the casserole. He says, "really?" LOL! I figured God would see the effort and would be understanding, so I ate the casserole. This got me and Mike into a discussion about funny things that have happened before...the best story was this one...

We decide to take a weekend trip to Indiana. It was a horrible trip and we were tired, exhausted and hungry. In the evening, Mike tried to support me by going out of his way to get me tea since I had given up soda for Lent. He figured that I must be hungry, too, so he gets me a cheeseburger as well. He brings it back and I don't think I've eaten something so quickly. To hear Mike tell the story, I was actually licking the paper it was wrapped in because it was so good. LOL! Just for the record, I wasn't, but it was a very tasty cheeseburger. After eating and sitting back to enjoy the tea, I made the realization that it was Friday. Nice. So, Mike, in his effort to help me stick to Lent, had also helped me break it! We laugh regularly about this story.

After dinner, I told Mike a story about what happened when I took the kids to school. His immediate response was, "you have to blog that!" So, here it is...

I went to take the kids to school yesterday morning. We left a little earlier than normal since it tends to get really busy on the first day back after a break. Anyway, I pull up into the line and I see that there are people going around a couple of cars. Making the realization that the cars are parked and are not in the carpool line, I go around as well. I pull into the lot and wait in line. And wait. And wait. I look at Jacob and say, "boy, this line is not moving today!" Just then, there's a knock on the window. I roll it down and see the crossing guard who informs me I'm sitting behind another row of parked cars. Nice. I felt so stupid. Jacob looks at me and says, "are we going to be late now?" I tell him no and try desperately to get out of there as quickly as possible.

This morning, I was getting the pot roast ready to put into the crock pot. Hannah comes in and asks what I'm doing. I tell her that I'm making a roast for dinner. She says, "I hate pot roast!"
Me: But Hannah, it's a lot like snake. (she calls steak, snake)
Hannah: I love snake! You're making snake?
Me: No, I'm making pot roast, but it's similar to snake.
Hannah: (again) I hate pot roast! I want snake!
Me: How do you know you don't like it until you try it? Do you remember eating pot roast before? (we actually eat it quite often)
Hannah: No! (this was more like NOoooooooooOOO...very sing-song)
Jacob: Hannah, you eat pot roast all of the time! You love it now quit complaining.

I don't know why I thought that was so funny!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did something similar as your casserole on Saturday. I made Mary Rose's cake on Friday and frosted it. It was a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I had to be very careful and read all the ingredients because a little girl with a nut allergy was coming to the party. I decided to frost it on Saturday morning.

On Saturday, I made the frosting and was flavoring it. I put in the vanilla and then I put in almond extract!! That's what I always do, but... I had to start all over!

the Joneses said...

I gave up sweets for Lent, and I try to avoid as much sugar as possible. Which wasn't possible with the first cup of hot tea I made for myself, when I dumped in two tablespoons of sugar to start with.

I don't think cream of chicken soup ruins a meatless attempt. Now, if you'd served, um, snake instead, that would have ruined the attempt. Just as long as you're keeping the spirit of Lent, I think God allows for bobbles.

-- SJ

Barbara said...

LOL, Sara! I don't think I could drink tea without sugar. That's just icky! Personally, I wouldn't consider it a sweet, so you're fine in my book! :)

I figured God would understand that I was at least making an effort, which is why I enjoyed the casserole anyway!